Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Should I try to make due with my HP

:iconwitty--username:
Witty--Username Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I want to go into the graphics field. I'm thinking game design. To be honest I hardly know anything about it. So if you've got any advice there that would be appreciated too, but my main question is if I should just work with the laptop I've got now, if I should upgrade, or if I should just wait and buy a new one?

I'm also interested in illustration and digital art as a hobby so I'd like my computer to be up to par for that too.

Right now I have a HP G62 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD V120 Processor 2.20 Ghz
64-bit Operating System
RAM 2.74 GB (Which I'm sure is not good.)

I'm only a junior in high school so I don't need the best of the best, but I'm aiming for a little above sufficient.
I know next to nothing about this, but I'm willing to learn. Any help? Worth updating?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You need a new system. Look at spending around $600-800 at the least for a new one.
You can add more ram to your current one, but it's not going to help much of anything that that gimpy little processor it has.

You do not want an Alienware.
Witty--Username Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What do you recommend?

Why no alienware? I was originally thinking Mac, but keep hearing they're overrated.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
By beginner I wasn't trying to put you down - I just kinda meant that unless you are going to be working at a way higher level than me then 2.74 GB of RAM should be more than enough!

3D art is indeed an entirely different thing and would need entirely different software, different skills and superior hardware.

There are plenty of people that do great art with a Wacom Bamboo fun - it is a decent tablet and you would only need to upgrade if you got to a stage where you felt it was limiting you and understood exactly how. Never think your art will magically get better if you buy more expensive kit, it just doesn't work that way...

I have been using various versions of GIMP on various machines for years. I am absolutely certain that if you get GIMP from the official site it doesn't come with any viruses at all. I suspect your issue is that if you just google GIMP you will get offered a lot of downloads from various legitimate looking but unoffical sites that generally come riddled with malware - but to a greater or lesser extent that is the same for any piece of software and isn't a problem with GIMP itself.

Painter is great software though - if that is what you intend to use then that will be great!
Witty--Username Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No. :lol: I know what you were saying. I know it wasn't a putdown. I was just trying to clarify a little.
I'm pretty sure I will be. I have a strong love for details and landscapes. Especially fantasy art and concept art.

Don't worry I learned that the hard way. Like they say "A beginner can make even a Stradivari sound bad." What's the art equivalent for that?
"A beginner can make even Old Holland look bad?" lol I don't know.

I'll admit I just have it out for gimp. I hate it, but hey whatever works.
I just downloaded trials of a couple. I'm really loving Painter 12 I'll more than likely end up with it. Considering splurging even though I know it's unnecessary. The oil paints are great on there! I'm going to play around with a couple first before I spend so much.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
for the time being you could see how much your can upgrade your ram. I imagine you won't get above 4 but it would be a start anyway.
I'm thinking that's my most important thing for now. My computer already has trouble just running the net. Probably need to clean it too. :|
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
what do you mean by "trouble just running the net?"
It lags. I'm running firefox with no more than 3-4 tabs and it lags. It lags while running games too. I assumed it was RAM related. Am I wrong?
I'm questioning the previous owners methods too. It has something called utorrent and I'm not so sure this is geunuine windows 7.
As there's already a torrent of 8 they had set up. It was sold to my grandparents pawnshop. So I'm not expecting some issues, but I'm happy to have anything to work with at all.
yikes!

Well the ram could be an issue, but also torrenting is sketchy at best. Sounds like there's a reason that computer winded up in a pawn shop.
Yea that's what I said. Besides the lag though it runs pretty well so there isn't too much damage to work through. Got a pretty good deal on it.
Especially me. Since it was given to me for free.
Add a Comment: