Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Wi-Fi Help?

:iconxdarknecrofearx:
xDarkNecroFearx Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hiya! I need a hand so anyone who's willing to help.

I'm looking to have wi-fi available to my house to attach my wii and netbook to. I'm not sure how to go about this. I know I need some sort of router and adapter? How do I know if I'm buying the right thing? How much is that sort of thing going to cost?

My desktop is HP and is about 3 years old. Anyother info you need or if you can help me at all note or comment please.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
most service providers will give you a router if you don't have one. If you don't have one from them, you can get a cheap one pretty much anywhere that sells electronics. I assume you're desktop has a wired connection, and you should probably be leaving it that way, since wireless is slower and you're desktop may or may not have an installed wireless card.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Artist
The router will run you about $50: [link]

That's one of the best ever made. A bit older but will meet your needs.
xDarkNecroFearx Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
And you just plug it into your modem and that's that? Set up the network? Thanks for the link :)
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Artist
Pretty much yeah. It's simple.
xDarkNecroFearx Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Oh okay cool :) How do I know if the router is everything I need, you know if I look for something cheaper ect
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Artist
You want a wifi router. Past that it won't make a huge difference for your use. There are some guides online about what the different features are and you can easily find them.

I would suggest getting one of the routers I linked, they're cheap (any cheaper and you start just getting crap) and they are known to work great.
xDarkNecroFearx Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Alright thanks so much for the help :)
:iconkmnfive:
kmnfive Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
i would go with a netgear.
:iconfairygal11:
FairyGal11 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Lets see.....Well depending on your cable company is one thing because you get tv and internet, but for router and adapter lets see....my family and I have a linksys which is a good wireless wifi router we use. It could be 40 to 50 if I remember right. Yet you gotta compare other ones and ask around to see if it'll be compatible and which one is reliable to give you good wifi service.
xDarkNecroFearx Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
So the type/ cost of it doesn't matter if I'm not looking for all of the programming and add ons correct? I have At + T for phone and internet but we don't have cable. ((as in TV))
Add a Comment: