Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Intel VS AMD Build

:iconmuse-0f-space:
mUse-0f-space Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Hello, I wanted to get some second opinions on a build I am preparing for a friend of mine. This will be my first custom build, and while I have a lot of knowledge and experience with computers, making sure everything's good and matches can be quite tricky it seems.

I have two proposed builds I have created in an Google Docs spreadsheat here
(HIGHLY RECOMMEND READING)
[link]

One rig is based on AMD technology and one is based on Intel. I do not currently have a preference toward either.

The base AMD rig consists of
an AMD FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Processor,
a Sapphire Radeon Ultimate HD 7750 1GB GPU,
and a GIGABYTE AM3+ AMD 970 ATX AMD motherboard.

The base Intel rig consists of
an Intel Core i5 3.4GHz processor,
an EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti,
and an AS Rock Quad CrossFireX & Quad SLI ATX Motherboard.

Both rigs use 8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM, a 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7,200 RPM drive, a Cooler Master eXtreme 500w PSU, a most likely adequate ATX case, an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler, two extra fans for the case, a Wi-Fi card, and a DVD burner.

My friend is a gamer, plans to run the rig on a 1080p HDTV, and would also like to do 3D animation and video editing.

The budget is $750 with an overflow of a maximum of $70.

Any ideas or opinions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhara-sura:
Hara-Sura Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Keep in mind AMD's claim of "8 cores" is more marketing than anything else. The reality is it's a quad-core class processor but each pair of Bulldozer "cores" is actually a cut-down integer unit and the pairs share a floating-point unit and most of the rest of a conventional CPU core's circuitry. The end result is closer to Intel's Hyperthreading than a true 8-core design. The result is anemic (to put it mildly) single-thread performance and rock-bottom floating-point calculation. AMD was betting that programmers would favor OpenCL type routines on the integrated graphics APUs to do floating-point math, meanwhile OpenCL remains a fairly exotic option and Intel chips keep pushing good single-thread performance.
mUse-0f-space Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I see, this is good to know. I've pretty much ruled out AMD at this point since I know a bit more about Intel architecture and they've become my safe brand for now. I'd be interested to look into AMD more, but since no one has really come forward to suggest more on them, I'm going with the Intel build.

At this point it's become just whittling down the price of the Intel build on certain parts, and replacing parts that have become sold out on Amazon. I figure that once I find a replacement for the RAM, I'm going to start ordering because there are some limited time rebates on some of the parts, and while I'm not factoring those into the final price, they'd still be a nice subtraction.
:iconhara-sura:
Hara-Sura Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The more you know...
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If the primary use is gaming then go with the i5. No contest at all; single threaded performance is key in gaming since most are not heavily threaded; plus the i5 uses less power.
The performance difference between the 8350 and the 3570k in threaded programs is easily overcome with a slight overclock on the i5; would still probably use less power.

Pretty sure you can get a cheaper motherboard. I'd go with this one [link] .
Swap the memory for these [link]

Those adjustments bring the required items cost down to $462.66.
mUse-0f-space Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I was hoping to leave future support for SLI and the board you provided doesn't support that. Should I just forget about the SLI? He isn't going to be running multiple monitors, and just has a 1080p TV monitor.

I did swap the memory out, thanks for that suggestion!
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If he isn't going to be gaming on resolutions above 1080 I doubt there'd be more than a game or two he couldn't max out on a single upper mid-range card like a 7850 or GTX660Ti.
mUse-0f-space Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Unfortunately, the RAM you linked me to has sold out, and I can't find a cheaper alternative. Do you have any other suggestions?

I also think I'm going to keep the increased motherboard since I'm still in budget and I'd like to leave the SLI option open. An extra $30 isn't bad considering that cheaper board went up in price by $25.
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Looks like the Vengeance is the cheapest option.
Do you have a Micro Center nearby? Likely could find most of these items for less there.

If everything is in budget, no point really in trying to skimp. That's the biggest mistake people make when building their own rigs. If something is only a few bucks over what you want to spend, it's better to spend the extra.
mUse-0f-space Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Yeah, we do, but with Amazon we pay no tax or shipping. So I don't know if it would actually be worth it since Amazon tends to be less than everywhere.

And yeah, I don't want to skimp, but going $80 isn't really an option haha
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Artist
Read here: [link]
If you look through, the 3570k you're looking at pretty consistently outperforms the 8350.

The GTX 650 ti will outperform the 7750: [link]

Since you're not even close to over-budget with the Intel/EVGA build I think that's probably going to be your best bet.
Add a Comment: