Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Looking for a new computer - for a cheaper price!

:iconbeaublanc:
beaublanc Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
So, quite awhile ago, my Acer Aspire laptop died.. It continuously overheated, and at the end it would not even get to the log in screen before it clicked off. (everything inside it was melted and I had it for just a year) My mom's has also had the same problem, but she bought a cooling pad the minute it started. Needless to say, I am not going back to that particular Acer.

Anyways - I am now looking for a new computer that will be fine for digital art (painting and manipulating.) I use Photoshop Elements and SAI, my pieces commonly have over 30 layers, and paintings can be around 3000px - 4000px in size. I am looking for either a desktop or a laptop (there are some minor fights going on in the family right now over who is getting what), with 6-8 GB memory and at least an I5 intel processor. (no AMD's please) Catch is, my budget is around the $700 range. Please, do not suggest a Mac, I can't afford that. I am looking for something that has a good screen quality, and it a large size. (for laptops - no smaller than 15.6" , desktops - no smaller than 23")

Once again, please do not say Mac!

Thanks for any help!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfairygal11:
FairyGal11 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I say check Bestbuy and Walmart and check their ads for good deals on laptops even for Superbowl time which is coming up. :) I remember when I first got "Delta" (my Acer laptop) when they had some great deals. :) She's 4 years old and I keep her nice and clean, defragment her, chck for anything icky, keep her keyboard clean along with vents and I also use a portable fan to keep her cool during the hot summer days-plus my room is quite cool and relaxing during the winter to help her stay cool.

Also word of advice-buy a laptop carrier bag to keep your laptop in even when your done using it. It'll keep it nice and safe and store your charger and plug in a good place so they don't get damaged.

Also you can find a good laptop on clearance for 250 or 300 at walmart or bestbuy by comparing the prices and what your looking for in a laptop to help make your life easy. I got two laptops now (Techna is the Toshiba laptop I got at bestbuy to do homework on and she is about 5 months old).

Hope that helps.
beaublanc Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks! I ended up getting a Samsung desktop, and I'll get my moms old Acer just for using when I am not doing art. I love having the 23.6" screen for art, so now laptops just bother me because they all seem so small. XD

We definitely didn't see any laptops that cheap, with the exception of the 10-11" ones. Even with the boxing week sales lol. But thank you!
:iconfairygal11:
FairyGal11 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Welcome
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Ok first off problems with laptops overheating are cause by two things. Lack of proper cooling (which is a manufacturer thing if they choose asthetics over function, most laptops have this problem) and/or not shutting down/turning off hard disks after a while.

As for you budget you should go for a desktop. You'll be getting much more for your money at a $700. You'd probably be fine customizing a desktop with one of the mainstream vendors like Dell or HP. I do recommend HP's desktops as they are rather decently priced and don't force you into certain hardware options like Dell does. I also wouldn't just rule out AMD right off the bat. Their Higher End Multicolor processors are very good for the money.

If you're feeling up to it you can build one yourself and get everything you want and probably wind up right on or under your budget. I did it myself back in April and recommend it well over buying one from any mainstream vendor.
beaublanc Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks! We aren't going to build one as we don't have the proper knowledge, no matter how easy it may be. xD I think we are going to get a desktop, we have been looking around and have found some nice ones that are waaaay under budget.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
That's good that you're finding things under budget.

I will say though building a computer is really just about following instructions in a book.
beaublanc Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Haha thats a good point!

Thanks again, I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Also, with the Acer overheating - I was always the worst about fully shutting it down, but my mother's laptop is always powered off when she is not using it, so I am thinking it is something to do with the aesthetics over function. ^^
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Laptop - [link]

Monitor [link] desktop: [link]
beaublanc Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks! I'll keep those in mind. (already have a desktop that runs great btw, just looking for a moniter - forgot to mention that!)
Add a Comment: