Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Hooking up my HP Pavilion computer to my Vizio TV. No VGA output port in my PC. Need help!

:iconitiffanyblue:
iTiffanyBlue Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
I just learned it's possible to connect my new tv to my computer!
I have a HP Pavillion All-in-one computer (Not a laptop) and with my new Vizio 32” TV, I was kinda hoping there’d be a way to connect it to my computer and make it a second screen for it. Would be nice huh?

Only one problem.

My Computer doesn’t appear to have a VGA port or an S Video port (Port or output/input?) (Same goes for my TV on that last one, but it does have a VGA port ) I tried looking on the sides and underneath for an output, but nope. (And it doesn't have an HDMI port either)

So my question is:
Is there another way to connect my computer to my tv by another cable? Or am I out of luck on this one?

Sorry if this has been asked before or if I posted this in the wrong section.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
does it have an HDMI out?
iTiffanyBlue Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
TV does, computer doesn't.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
then you're probably not going to be able to do it. But with an all in one I can't imagine needing to connect it to a TV in the first place.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You need one of these [link]
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
I forgot to mention that once you connect them, it's real easy to select different monitor settings: [link]
You will need one of two things for your computer: Either a new video card that has a VGA and/or HDMI port in addition to a DVI port for your current monitor (~$40 for a cheap one) or you will need to get an adapter. 
There are various kinds of adapters that allow for DVI to HDMI, DVI to VGA or DVI to 2 different types. If you have 2 DVI ports on your video card for 2 monitors, get an adapter for one and then the corresponding VGA or HDMI cable to plug in the TV.
If you only have a single port on your current video card, then you will need a splitter adapter that goes DVI to DVI+VGA or DVI to DVI+HDMI. You plug in to the port you're using for your current monitor, plug in that monitor into the DVI side of the splitter and then plug in a VGA or HDMI cable from your TV input to the VGA or HDMI side of the splitter, depending on which you get.

So to review, you need either a new video card that has multiple output ports or a splitter adapter + VGA or HDMI cable based on which adapter you get. You will need a VGA or HDMI cable for the TV regardless of your choice, but getting a cable and adapter/splitter is the cheapest option.
iTiffanyBlue Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
The whole video card thing is going to be confusing for me. I'll have to look into it a bit more before I decide to do anything so I don't ruin my computer.

Thanks for a reply. This helps quite a bit!
Changing a video card is very easy. The hard part is just figuring out which ones are compatible for your computer. But yeah, using a splitter is easier and more likely cheaper.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The HP all-in-one is a screen/computer combo. It has no video outputs and it can't accept a video card.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's an crappy HP AIO. Although it does have a mini pci-e x1 slot, it has zero video output options. They'll need a usb display solution.
Add a Comment: