Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Tablet PC Digital Art Advice Needed

:iconprofessorparsec:
ProfessorParsec Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been researching for about a month now about buying a tablet pc.

I have a fantastic PC at home with a wacom tablet, but couldn't bring either with me
when I went to another continent for schooling.
All I was able to bring with me was a Thinkpad T42 (10 years old) and my Wacom Graphire (9 years old).

The laptop is dying, and I have about 300 dollars at my disposal to find a solution.

So what's a good solution?

I've heard that the Samsung Galaxy is good, but the styluses look too thick to be precise. I would only be able to buy one with Nvidia 2, 32 GB without SD expansion and Honeycomb 3.0.

Or would it be better to buy a referbished laptop?

Thank you for your time.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondarkmagistric:
darkmagistric Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
At $300....used and off ebay are really your only options.

Fortunetly there are some very good ones. the Aformentioned Le1700 is very nice tablet. If you want something alittle newer and more Laptop-like, I'd recommned the HP 2730p or 2740p. (Elitebook series) They are covertable Tablet PCs...so you can swivel the screen around and use it as a Tablet...or just keep it as is and use it like a laptop.

Most of the ones on Ebay were for Company use and once the lease's ended...for cheap e-sale they went.

The 2730p is Core2Duo and ranges in the $200-$300 range. The 2740p is the newer 1st gen Core i5 model. Its More expensive....most ebay auctions for it are $400-$500...but it has a better processor.

The thing thats nice about the HP elitebook series is that it has a Boe Hydis screen (think of it as an early competitor/alternative to IPS) which is a very nice screen. Comparativly...alot of the other Tablet PCs up for ebay sale, like the le1700, Le1600, Ls800, x61, TM2, TX2.....etc...most of those auctions are for the crap screens. At least with the HP, your garanteed a good screen.
ProfessorParsec Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Looks like you've done your research. Thanks. :)
:iconlemon1986:
lemon1986 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
motion computing LE1700! they start from $100 at ebay, I have one and absolutley satisfied!

make sure it has a core 2 duo processor though!
ProfessorParsec Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, they seem pretty robust and customizable. Thank you. :)
:iconzr0wing:
Zr0wing Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
get a Fujitsu lifebook off Ebay...I hear they have wacom tech they seem interesting
ProfessorParsec Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, they're rather fancy and top-notch. Thanks for your input. :D
:iconjedah3:
jedah3 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
At $300, there's probably not alot of options. You can get a cheap'ish Samsung Galaxy Tab, but it won't have a Wacom digitizer. For that, you would need to step up to the Galaxy Note 10.1 for roughly $500. Maybe wait a few months and the Note 10.1 may come down in price. Another option would be a used iPad 2 and buying a pressure-sensitive stylus (not sure how well these compare to Wacom).

A refurb laptop may not be a bad idea. With Win8 laptops coming out now, Win7 machines should be coming down.
ProfessorParsec Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I found a solution:
Borrow my friend's Dell laptop for a few months and buy a bamboo splash for the time being.:D

Thank you for your help.
Add a Comment: