Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

minimize physical memory on vista and free anti-virus program?

:iconamalaazula:
AmalaAzula Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012   Digital Artist
I'm visiting family at the moment and the computer they have here runs very slow and I'm not sure if the anti-virus they have is the best.

I manage to get rid of unnecessary files, uninstall unneeded programs, went to the task manager and into services and set some applications on manual instead of automatic.
It's still at 70%-90% of memory being used. I am guessing there are things running on the computer that is taking up a lot of memory.

I want it to be easy to run because it's hard to draw on paint tool sai with my tablet and have lag just about every second.

Also, the anti-virus they're using is called Comodo. I tried scanning the computer (full scan), the duration was 5 hours and still at 1% scanned. Is there a FREE anti-virus program I can use that will be more effective, and scan a lot faster?

I heard Avast and AVG are good free anti-virus programs but I'm not too sure. I'm not a computer savvy, I just know basic functions.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondfx4509b:
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My #1 recommendation is Avast! Free Anti-virus + Comodo Firewall + Malwarebytes.
AmalaAzula Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012   Digital Artist
Yup, I got Avast now. :nod:
:icondfx4509b:
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Cool!
Hey guys, problem is fixed thanks to =NeroLink, love ya bro! :hug:
:iconmangaskyx:
MangaSkyX Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
I heard windows 7 is good and I getting it end Dec. A lot ppl says bad things about vista. oh been using AVG for years I had np with it.
Yeah, might have to upgrade to windows 7. Vista is garbage. That's cool, I like that it works and easy to use unlike comodo which is also garbage.
:iconmangaskyx:
MangaSkyX Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
Ya, I had XP for long time now. I want to upgrade but Vista didn't sound to good. :(
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Vista gets a bad rep but its not all that bad really; once you've updated it and what not.

How about you just add more ram to the system? Thats really the best option, and memory is very cheap.
Sound like your computer only has 2 or 4gigs of ram, should really consider upgrading it.
What computer do you have?
I think it has 4 gb, I don't know, it's not my computer but I have to use it too while I'm visiting family.
It's an acer. I personally wouldn't want an acer. But my good friend Nero helped me with my problem so the computer is working fine now!
Thanks for replying here though. =)
:iconnerolink:
NeroLink Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Don't use Vista? LOL Well there's your first problem, Vista is a pile of crap and most machines that came with it pre-installed didn't have the hardware to run it efficiently.

Secondly, I know from experience Comodo is baaaaaaaaaad :( Use AVG or Avast for sure, I have used both and they are great, both free too.

Also, uninstall Comodo...

And did I mention Vista is bad?

:P
Add a Comment: