Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

Need a new computer, suggestions are appreciated!

:iconkohu-arts:
kohu-arts Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Hi there, my computer's dead and I'm searching for a new one.

Anyone have some good suggestions for a good arting PC?

My needs/wants:

- I'm in the market for a PC desktop. For various reasons, I don't want a Mac of any sort.
- I don't really feel comfortable/confident enough to build my own computer, so I'm looking for some good brands out there.
- I use primarily PhotoShop and Paint Tool SAI, and I tend to draw/paint pretty large for comic pages, so I want a computer that's going to hold up well for this purpose in terms of speed/power/memory.
- I'd like something that will likely be reliable for at least a few years. My current computer (Dell Studio) was great for about three years, then just up and died on me. A computer that will probably last for at least 3+ years would be great.

My budget is around $3000. I'm tentatively looking for a new monitor too, which should be included in that price. If I have to, though, I'll use my current monitor. I've been looking at Alienware and Velocity Micro gaming computers at the moment, which is probably way overkill for what I want my PC for, but I'd rather get too much than too little.

Any suggestions/discussion would be very appreciated, thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconxx-nightfurygirl-xx:
Xx-NightFuryGirl-xX Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
I suggest the macbook air :)
:icondinofelini:
Dinofelini Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
get a Mac. they are really good for designers, animators, digital artists etc.
i keep getting recommended a mac by all of my teachers in university
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
For an art computer you shouldn't need to spend over $1500.

A Velocity Mirco system would get you some great options for your money. Alienware would get you some terrible options for your money. You also may want to check out any Origin or Falcon Northwest PCs if you're looking for that "gaming-esque" style. If you want to go more mainstream Dell's XPS line is ok, but not great. If you really want the best options though for a performance machine the best choice is usually to build your own. You said you weren't comfortable, but it's really not hard at all. Especially if you can get a bundle deal where you don't have to worry about finding compatible parts.

If I may ask though, what exactly happened to your old computer? They don't just "die" usually a component fails.
:icongodess-wolf:
Godess-Wolf Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The Toshiba laptop I suggested is also very big ( not thin and breakable like most others!) it has a big load of memory and has a wide, big screen ( be careful for its fan though!:-))
:icongodess-wolf:
Godess-Wolf Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This is a hard one to ask, especially if your on a budget.

But if your looking for something cheap the new google laptop looks good. ( not 100% sure if its good for art).

If you don't care about the price and want one that will last a life time I'd say get a big sturdy Toshiba laptop ( there quite expensive but you won't regret it, there great laptops. I've got one myself and it's been around for forty years! Not that I'm forty! It used to be my dads for a little while, and it's worth 1800! But we got it for 1200!)

I've got photoshop and illustrator and that's 1000 pounds of software and the Toshiba laptop I have is very strong, reliable, long battery life, GREAT for art and MUCH more!!!!!
:iconlinebreaker:
Linebreaker Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
My sister has a Cyberpower desktop that she uses for gaming, Photoshop, and ZBrush work. It's a 2009, and still works awesome. :)
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
$3k would build one hell of a machine.

Head over to here [link] and configure a system along the following:

Case: Any would do, I'd suggest a full tower, like the NZXT Phantom.
Power supply: Silverstone Element ST65EF 650w
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-VPro
CPU: i7-3770
Cooler: CM Hyper 212
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16Gb (2*8GB) 1600MHz
GPU: ASUS 660Ti-DC20
1st hdd: Samsung 256Gb 840Pro ssd (OS and programs)
2nd hdd: 3tb Barracuda (Storage)
OS: Windows Pro or Ultimate 64bit (Windows 7 or Windows 8 whichever you prefer)

Total: About $1900.

As for a monitor you could go with the Dell U2713HM for about $700.
:iconcatbonestaxidermy:
CatBonesTaxidermy Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Build your own frown newegg. For $3k you cab have the most powerful pc around.

If you have to buy one rebuilt... Asus is the best. You cannot beat their warantee and they have beasts of computers. Anything gaming isggood for art... so stick with a gaming pc.
:iconcatbonestaxidermy:
CatBonesTaxidermy Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Pre-built* Arrg auto correct on phones.

Oh and I do pc repair. I would not recammend Sony, Dell or hp. We see them wayyyy too often. Asus is the best and all of my computer nerd buddies have them.
:iconkanutgl:
KanuTGL Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
As long as it isn't a Sony VAIO... :XD: I'm in the market for a new computer as well, since my current one is slowly dying on me; I think I'll keep an eye on this thread =P
:iconxxajayaxx:
xxAjayaxx Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have a dell Inspiron with a graphics card in it.
:iconko-jak:
Ko-jak Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
I just bought a Gateway all-in-one and it is so nice! I paid around $400 for it brand new and it has a 20" screen so its pretty big and has a really good amount of space on it! And windows 8 if that floats your boat. But I love it! So far its taken art pretty well and no problems with it.
:iconmarkmybirds:
MarkMyBirds Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
To be honest, everyone loves Toshiba but.. As a former IT Tech. I would hiss and claw at you if you gave me a Toshiba. Then I'd tell you to throw it into the garbage when that thing broke down after being your computer/laptop for only 2 years :D.

I'd go with Acer or HP. Acer mainly because they are amazing with their computers.. ;;.. Both desktop and laptop. </personal input> I have a Compaq. But I will def. get an Acer when this thing dies. I have an Acer laptop, and it's amazing.
:iconbaruti23:
Baruti23 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My favorite brand is Toshiba, so I, personally, would get something from them. They are affordable and reliable. However, AlienWare, while expensive, are very fast, top of the line computers.
:iconannasko:
Annasko Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I hope you don't hate the compagnie too much, I would have said Mac. Not because it's pretty but actually because of the screen quality. People tend to say that every of their product is complete bullshit but it actually isn't, it's been 1 year since I brought an iMac and I'm very happy about it. It's the first time I have this kind of computer, it's an artist who told me to buy one and why. Also this person is not a random artist, she knows her shit pretty damn well and now work in 3D animation, she even worked on Ice Age.

I'm not an Aple fan, I'm just a satisfied customer.
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Screen quality isn't really a good argument.
You realize the iMac display is mediocre at best in the realm of IPS panels right? There's also nothing stopping anyone from buying a display as good or better than an iMac.
Annasko Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My english is not at it's best and so that's why I didn't said more, and of course I never said she SHOULD buy an iMac. Anyway I'm not here for arguing, I'm sorry if I rustled your precious jimmies and won't reply to any other comments.
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No ones arguing. I'm just saying the better display defence is quite thin.
Seems your jimmies have been rustled quite a bit.
Annasko Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My jimmies have been scared to be more precise.
kohu-arts Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Nope! Nothing against Mac or Apple. It's just that all the software I have is for PC, so it just wouldn't be financially smart to get a Mac at this point. :3 Plus one of my favorite art programs (SAI) is for PC only, so I sort of have to get a PC. :)
Annasko Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh ok. I was kinda nervous at first since there's a lot of people hating on it. xD
Well you can ask to install windows on a Mac if you want, that's what I did before eheh.
And good luck ! :)
:iconpalandrose:
Palandrose Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
as for the parts from ibuypower you put in your machine... id go with [link] as your intial set up. every thing basic stock except for the graphics card adobe offers some cool features for rendering stuff via your graphics card processors (GPU) wich will take some stress off your CPU and render stuff faster(this may be irrelevant or invalid information). the option for the Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 is already chosen but choose the sli X2 option. im an ati fan my self im only suggesting nvidia due to the (possible) ability to use adobe with the card.
:iconpalandrose:
Palandrose Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
ibuypower.com there gaming computers, but if you buy a gaming computer, you will eb able to render digital art, or digital video with breeze. i would invest in a 1500-2000 USD computer, and with that last 1k look into buying a tablet or a tablet monitor. second, use your second monitor in conjunction with the new one yull get, 2 monitors means double the work space. and regardless of your video card you get be it ATI or Nvidia, you will have the support for 2+ monitors. i don't suggest dell due to there customer support (i have had issues with theme big time, they even sent the computer i had sent to be repaired to another state).
:icontigresadaina:
TigresaDaina Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hello dear !! you can buy any PC or netbook containing the Intel Core i3, since it is the one that supports graphics ...
:iconsandstorml:
SandstormL Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Omg, with a budget like that, you could get a gaming computer that runs everything, even art programs @_@
:iconwolfsong-of-dragon:
WolfSong-of-Dragon Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I got a Dell when my old laptop died (they didn't even make the same kind anymore), and it works pretty well. It's an Inspiron Ultrabook of some sort. Good graphics, quick, it's compatible with stuff, etc. Dell's are supposed to be really safe, and with my bad luck, I got their warrenty that would replace your laptop even if you threw it off a cliff X3 I have one pet peeve with it- if Windows want to install an update, it restarts my whole computer without a single warning- but I've been told I can change that, though of course he who told me that didn't know how :P Chrome usually replaces all of my tabs, though, and the Microsoft Office products "quick save" things, so I don't lose much, unless I had something open on Gimp (which has happened. Many times. T_T) It was kind of pricy, but it'll last a lot longer than a cheaper laptop would. Good luck finding one!
:iconravenous-spirit:
Ravenous-Spirit Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Lenovo all the way. Not sure if they make desktops or not. But I'd stay about from Toshiba, they don't always do well with lots of art programs. If Lenovo doesn't make desktops I would recommended Compaq. Never had a problem with either two I had.
:iconintelligentwolf:
IntelligentWolf Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Before it crapped out on me I would have said "Toshiba". Now though, I'd say Lenovo, it's been great so far :D
:icondivinenymph:
DivineNymph Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
For art AND gaming (if you want), I'd definitely go with ASUS. They are reasonably priced as far as PC's go.
:iconpsychtehwolf:
PsychtehWolf Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I just got a Acer desktop today for my birthday with Windows 8, and it's the best thing ever! It has everything! I got a HP Pavilion 6 driver, Logitech speakers, and everything. I could not be happier. It is also a super computer, meaning it has LOTS of space and is really fast, and is also supposed to last a while. I'm not sure of the price, but I don't think it is TOO expensive! :3
:iconblueharuka:
blueharuka Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
well, I use a windows vista, so it's pretty much all i can recommend.
so far mine seems to be quite sturdy, and it's lasted about a good 5 going on 6 years with very little problems.
:iconfuzzywolf2006:
fuzzywolf2006 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Lenovo and Asus are the way to go. Best pre-built computers on the market, presently. Newegg always has some good deals on computers.
:iconeireannwolf:
EireannWolf Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Asus is a wonderful brand. Both my fiance and I have Asus laptops and it is the absolute best art computer I have ever had. I've had it about 2 years now and it still runs like it's brand new. I can run multiple programs at the same time and it doesn't slow down at all. It has 500 GB of storage space, which is wonderful. I have never had one of their desktops, but if they are as good as the laptops, I would highly recommend Asus.
:iconmonstertang:
MonsterTang Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Filmographer
The one i have, an ASUS, is here, at Best buy for only about 800 bucks. I LOVE IT and i honestly couldn't ask for anything better. I can run all my art programs, livestream, ineternet whatever i want, no lag whatsoever. [link] nice and portable too.
:icongiiana:
Giiana Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If you want a laptop, not a computer, toshiba is a great one ^^
I have as a computer a packard bell and I would say is pretty good. I have it for two years and it's awesome <3 And I have paint tool sai which works perfectly, but photoshop cracks everytime he can xD
I'd like a desktop preferably. ;3 I tend to kill the USB ports of my laptops pretty quickly, my old one couldn't be used within a year because of that. xD I beat up my computers pretty bad, lol.

That sucks about your photoshop! ;; it's a beast of a program. xD
:icongiiana:
Giiana Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I suposse it's because the files I usually use are pretty big, lol
FAIL xD
:iconnightofravens:
NightOfRavens Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional General Artist
HPs are great computers. All I have is an hp netbook and it can handle a lot of things at once.
Looking for a desktop rather than a netbook, but I'll check their desktops out. :)
:iconnightofravens:
NightOfRavens Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional General Artist
I know, I read XD hp was suggested because its the only brand I'll even buy these days. The toshibas I've been around haven't worked well, nor the dells, or the acres, and certainly not compaq or gateway. Lol. Yeah... lots of brands. But I'm just super picky lol.
:iconkashimusprime:
KashimusPrime Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you're wanting a good Art computer, Get a Mac(Be prepared to lose Sai if you do). If you're wanting a gaming computer, get an Alienware computer.
:icontherealpadster:
theRealPadster Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Interface Designer
Apple PCs are no better for art than non-Apple PCs.
KashimusPrime Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Are you actually trying to stir up an argument? Because my Mac seems to be perfect for my art computer.

The only difference that sets Apple computers from PC Computers is the different art programs that are compatible for only one of the computers.
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Like what?

There are plenty of programs that do the exact same thing for either platform...
There's absolutely nothing that makes a Mac *read OSx* better than any other PC for media creation.
KashimusPrime Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wow, I had no idea so many people would get buttmad over my helpful reply about different PCs Bc
:iconlemon1986:
lemon1986 Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
no offence! but that advice wasn't helpful! even if your using mac computers, you're still using photoshop which is also available for PC's! minus faster processors!

different OS, same applications, same support! it's like cutting two different type of cheese with a knife crafted by adobe!
KashimusPrime Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm sorry, but mind looking at the time stamp of the comment?

Also, I'm well aware that people are pissed off that I even dared talked about PCs vs Macs with my friend.

Thanks for the advice captain obvious.
:iconlemon1986:
lemon1986 Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
yeah, sure thing! just learn how to tell the difference between an advice and opinions next time! my good friend!
:icontherealpadster:
theRealPadster Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Interface Designer
I'm not trying to stir up an argument, I'm just fed up with this stupid rumour. I didn't say Apple PCs are not good for art. I said that they are no better than non-Apple PCs. You can get a much better non-Apple PC for the same money than if you were to buy an Apple PC. If you have a better PC, it will be better for video-editing, 3d-modelling, or working with large files. Who cares if Apple makes it and puts MacOS on it, it's still a PC with inferior hardware.
I definitely want to keep SAI, which is partly why I won't get a Mac. ;3 Plus I have PhotoShop 7.0 just for PC, so I'm sort of stuck with PCs.

Thanks Kash. :3 Do you know if Alienware is pretty reputable?
Add a Comment: