Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

Need a new computer, suggestions are appreciated!

:iconkohu-arts:
kohu-arts Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Hi there, my computer's dead and I'm searching for a new one.

Anyone have some good suggestions for a good arting PC?

My needs/wants:

- I'm in the market for a PC desktop. For various reasons, I don't want a Mac of any sort.
- I don't really feel comfortable/confident enough to build my own computer, so I'm looking for some good brands out there.
- I use primarily PhotoShop and Paint Tool SAI, and I tend to draw/paint pretty large for comic pages, so I want a computer that's going to hold up well for this purpose in terms of speed/power/memory.
- I'd like something that will likely be reliable for at least a few years. My current computer (Dell Studio) was great for about three years, then just up and died on me. A computer that will probably last for at least 3+ years would be great.

My budget is around $3000. I'm tentatively looking for a new monitor too, which should be included in that price. If I have to, though, I'll use my current monitor. I've been looking at Alienware and Velocity Micro gaming computers at the moment, which is probably way overkill for what I want my PC for, but I'd rather get too much than too little.

Any suggestions/discussion would be very appreciated, thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconxx-nightfurygirl-xx:
Xx-NightFuryGirl-xX Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
I suggest the macbook air :)
:icondinofelizc:
DinofelizC Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
get a Mac. they are really good for designers, animators, digital artists etc.
i keep getting recommended a mac by all of my teachers in university
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
For an art computer you shouldn't need to spend over $1500.

A Velocity Mirco system would get you some great options for your money. Alienware would get you some terrible options for your money. You also may want to check out any Origin or Falcon Northwest PCs if you're looking for that "gaming-esque" style. If you want to go more mainstream Dell's XPS line is ok, but not great. If you really want the best options though for a performance machine the best choice is usually to build your own. You said you weren't comfortable, but it's really not hard at all. Especially if you can get a bundle deal where you don't have to worry about finding compatible parts.

If I may ask though, what exactly happened to your old computer? They don't just "die" usually a component fails.
:icongodess-wolf:
Godess-Wolf Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The Toshiba laptop I suggested is also very big ( not thin and breakable like most others!) it has a big load of memory and has a wide, big screen ( be careful for its fan though!:-))
:icongodess-wolf:
Godess-Wolf Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This is a hard one to ask, especially if your on a budget.

But if your looking for something cheap the new google laptop looks good. ( not 100% sure if its good for art).

If you don't care about the price and want one that will last a life time I'd say get a big sturdy Toshiba laptop ( there quite expensive but you won't regret it, there great laptops. I've got one myself and it's been around for forty years! Not that I'm forty! It used to be my dads for a little while, and it's worth 1800! But we got it for 1200!)

I've got photoshop and illustrator and that's 1000 pounds of software and the Toshiba laptop I have is very strong, reliable, long battery life, GREAT for art and MUCH more!!!!!
:iconlinebreaker:
Linebreaker Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
My sister has a Cyberpower desktop that she uses for gaming, Photoshop, and ZBrush work. It's a 2009, and still works awesome. :)
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
$3k would build one hell of a machine.

Head over to here [link] and configure a system along the following:

Case: Any would do, I'd suggest a full tower, like the NZXT Phantom.
Power supply: Silverstone Element ST65EF 650w
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-VPro
CPU: i7-3770
Cooler: CM Hyper 212
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16Gb (2*8GB) 1600MHz
GPU: ASUS 660Ti-DC20
1st hdd: Samsung 256Gb 840Pro ssd (OS and programs)
2nd hdd: 3tb Barracuda (Storage)
OS: Windows Pro or Ultimate 64bit (Windows 7 or Windows 8 whichever you prefer)

Total: About $1900.

As for a monitor you could go with the Dell U2713HM for about $700.
:iconcatbonestaxidermy:
CatBonesTaxidermy Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Build your own frown newegg. For $3k you cab have the most powerful pc around.

If you have to buy one rebuilt... Asus is the best. You cannot beat their warantee and they have beasts of computers. Anything gaming isggood for art... so stick with a gaming pc.
:iconcatbonestaxidermy:
CatBonesTaxidermy Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Pre-built* Arrg auto correct on phones.

Oh and I do pc repair. I would not recammend Sony, Dell or hp. We see them wayyyy too often. Asus is the best and all of my computer nerd buddies have them.
:iconkanutgl:
KanuTGL Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
As long as it isn't a Sony VAIO... :XD: I'm in the market for a new computer as well, since my current one is slowly dying on me; I think I'll keep an eye on this thread =P
Add a Comment: