December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 75

Internet not connecting, even in safemode, trojan? please help

:iconophelianymph:
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Hey dudes,

I was wondering if you knew how I can fix my PC, it was running fine and then I received an email that somebody had created me an account on a dating website and had created a very insulting password. I realise now I should of just ignored it but went on to contact the company to try and get the IP or any details I could on who created it. A while after my PC said it had just removed a trojan. It worked fine until I turned it off and tried getting back on it the next day... it starts up fine, except its saying that there is nothing to connect to, all the other pc's in the household are working so I know its not the connection and the trojan. Usually when something like this happens it will still connect in safemode but even safemode is not connecting, im at a loss as to what to do.
When I try running anti virus programs it makes a windows error noise and says 'error' and will not run.

I dont have a recovery point, i can still access all my documents and pictures, photo programs. its the anti virus softwares that are not working and also its locked me being able to remove programs.

any ideas? and im using my friends laptop right now to sort the problem out, they will kill me if i get anything on this as run their business from it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcrhino:
crhino Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
This is what I would do...........if you're using IE, change to firefox, IE is easily hacked. Secondly, don't believe most malware/spyware detectors, they plant stuff to make it look like they're good at their job, they seem to be harmless, but it worries one nevertheless. Thirdly, get CCleaner, it is a free program and only small in size, but it is so bloody good. The trouble with most things that i've used, is the bug returns, you can never get rid of it 'cos it's still in the registry, but this one is the only one I've found that cleans the registry too, and it only takes a few seconds. It really is good, well, I find it to be so, anyway. I don't know that much about comp's, but CCleaner has got me out of a lot of scrapes, so until it lets me down, I will swear by it. I don't like the idea of anyone paying 60 to fix something that should be dealt with by them for free!
I hope you get it sorted soon, these problems are a pain in the arse.

Gotta return soon, I've not painted for 4 yrs now, sort of got disillusioned with it all, but I am feeling a tad inspired recently, so maybe I will be back to plague you again x.
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Okay people I THINK I have narrowed it down to something called 'Mcafee virtual assistant' I looked it up and it seems alot of people have also been fooled by it and causing the same problems. I really thought it was part of Mcafee(maybe it is and they are the ones sending the virus) internet update.

I cannot remove it, that is the problem I have now, it wont shred and im worried that if I just delete it and it goes into the recycle bin that it will still be able to cause havoc, any ideas? :)
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I can't be certain that this is the problem as I don't use McAfee, but my advice (what I would do in your position) would be to do a complete uninstall of Mcafee. These are their directions: [link] (You'll need the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool).
After that is all done with, do a registry cleanup with Ccleaner: [link] (registry tab). At that point you can install another antivirus. This one is simple light and does a good job: [link]. And of course run Malwarebytes :)
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Thankyou :glomp: I have managed to deactivate but cannot find the 'Mcafee consumer product removal tool' I searched on the offical website but no luck.
Will let you know if it works.
Went on the other night to try and when I tried entering ISP info it would just say aload of numbers after 'component guild' and then Error: (0x800706BA)<the error message could not be found> failed to detect internet.
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
It's in the link I posted, but their site is such a mess - well here's their download link: [link]
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Thankyou :)
I tried but still wont accept anything. Thinking of paying a mcafee person to sort it out, I found on the website that for 60 they will access your PC virtually and let you watch them fix it for you.
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.":thumbsup:
Pardon me for saying so, but I think they've taken enough money from you dear! This is nothing short of profiteering on McAfee's part and I don't like that.
Just do the standard uninstall from the control panel, then use the registry (2nd tab) in Ccleaner: [link] to do the rest. It will prompt to make a registry backup before starting just in case of problems (which you won't have, but do it anyway.)Then restart the computer :)
It's important to uninstall 'McAfee SecurityCenter' in Programs and Features first and then run the tool. This is another link for it:
[link] -maybe another try?
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
:( Me too, I just feel like I dont have any other options. No way would I buy any security programs again. The uninstall wouldnt work :( I will have another go though before I give them anything :) your right though, for all I know they could just plant something else whilst 'fixing' it.. who to trust in this dog eat dog world
It's important to uninstall 'McAfee SecurityCenter' in Programs and Features first and then run the tool. This is another link for it:
[link] -maybe another try?
Add a Comment: