December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 75

Internet not connecting, even in safemode, trojan? please help

:iconophelianymph:
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Hey dudes,

I was wondering if you knew how I can fix my PC, it was running fine and then I received an email that somebody had created me an account on a dating website and had created a very insulting password. I realise now I should of just ignored it but went on to contact the company to try and get the IP or any details I could on who created it. A while after my PC said it had just removed a trojan. It worked fine until I turned it off and tried getting back on it the next day... it starts up fine, except its saying that there is nothing to connect to, all the other pc's in the household are working so I know its not the connection and the trojan. Usually when something like this happens it will still connect in safemode but even safemode is not connecting, im at a loss as to what to do.
When I try running anti virus programs it makes a windows error noise and says 'error' and will not run.

I dont have a recovery point, i can still access all my documents and pictures, photo programs. its the anti virus softwares that are not working and also its locked me being able to remove programs.

any ideas? and im using my friends laptop right now to sort the problem out, they will kill me if i get anything on this as run their business from it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcrhino:
crhino Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
This is what I would do...........if you're using IE, change to firefox, IE is easily hacked. Secondly, don't believe most malware/spyware detectors, they plant stuff to make it look like they're good at their job, they seem to be harmless, but it worries one nevertheless. Thirdly, get CCleaner, it is a free program and only small in size, but it is so bloody good. The trouble with most things that i've used, is the bug returns, you can never get rid of it 'cos it's still in the registry, but this one is the only one I've found that cleans the registry too, and it only takes a few seconds. It really is good, well, I find it to be so, anyway. I don't know that much about comp's, but CCleaner has got me out of a lot of scrapes, so until it lets me down, I will swear by it. I don't like the idea of anyone paying 60 to fix something that should be dealt with by them for free!
I hope you get it sorted soon, these problems are a pain in the arse.

Gotta return soon, I've not painted for 4 yrs now, sort of got disillusioned with it all, but I am feeling a tad inspired recently, so maybe I will be back to plague you again x.
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Okay people I THINK I have narrowed it down to something called 'Mcafee virtual assistant' I looked it up and it seems alot of people have also been fooled by it and causing the same problems. I really thought it was part of Mcafee(maybe it is and they are the ones sending the virus) internet update.

I cannot remove it, that is the problem I have now, it wont shred and im worried that if I just delete it and it goes into the recycle bin that it will still be able to cause havoc, any ideas? :)
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I can't be certain that this is the problem as I don't use McAfee, but my advice (what I would do in your position) would be to do a complete uninstall of Mcafee. These are their directions: [link] (You'll need the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool).
After that is all done with, do a registry cleanup with Ccleaner: [link] (registry tab). At that point you can install another antivirus. This one is simple light and does a good job: [link]. And of course run Malwarebytes :)
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Thankyou :glomp: I have managed to deactivate but cannot find the 'Mcafee consumer product removal tool' I searched on the offical website but no luck.
Will let you know if it works.
Went on the other night to try and when I tried entering ISP info it would just say aload of numbers after 'component guild' and then Error: (0x800706BA)<the error message could not be found> failed to detect internet.
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
It's in the link I posted, but their site is such a mess - well here's their download link: [link]
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Thankyou :)
I tried but still wont accept anything. Thinking of paying a mcafee person to sort it out, I found on the website that for 60 they will access your PC virtually and let you watch them fix it for you.
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.":thumbsup:
Pardon me for saying so, but I think they've taken enough money from you dear! This is nothing short of profiteering on McAfee's part and I don't like that.
Just do the standard uninstall from the control panel, then use the registry (2nd tab) in Ccleaner: [link] to do the rest. It will prompt to make a registry backup before starting just in case of problems (which you won't have, but do it anyway.)Then restart the computer :)
It's important to uninstall 'McAfee SecurityCenter' in Programs and Features first and then run the tool. This is another link for it:
[link] -maybe another try?
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
:( Me too, I just feel like I dont have any other options. No way would I buy any security programs again. The uninstall wouldnt work :( I will have another go though before I give them anything :) your right though, for all I know they could just plant something else whilst 'fixing' it.. who to trust in this dog eat dog world
It's important to uninstall 'McAfee SecurityCenter' in Programs and Features first and then run the tool. This is another link for it:
[link] -maybe another try?
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well now i've seen everything... what even is the distinction between "antivirus" and "virus" anymore?

Virus: you need specialized "tools" to remove it from your computer.
Antivirus: you need specialized "tools" to remove it from your computer.
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Lol, very true unfortunately.
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The sad thing is, windows users seem to think this is just business as usual... if someone made a program for pretty much any linux distribution that you couldn't remove by simply going to the package manager and selecting "remove" there'd be a shitstorm.
There are quite a number of shitstorms in progress actually: [link] [link] [link] [link] [link] [link] -the worst companies are often the oldest and most "reputable". Some vendors are irresponsible, dishonest and produce really bad software. It still doesn't mean that they are all bad though :)
(1 Reply)
:iconfairygal11:
FairyGal11 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
You should reboot and restart your computer to factory settings but be sure to save anything important first and then when you relog back onto your computer check the internet connection by checking the wifi connection. If it has a button in front of your laptop that helps you get wifi disable it first and then enable and check network and sharing center to check for a connection and establish it to get back online
My laptop actually doesnt have the button, I clicked what I thought was that and it turned out to be bluetooth, there is another one that looked like a speaker so I guessed it was that. When I clicked it the light came on/off but nothing happened onscreen, no change to the connection
FairyGal11 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I see. Well you know sometimes theres a i with ( ( ) ) lines by it that is the toshiba's wireless button and on my acer its just a flicker button to flick ona nd off to turn on or off wireless.
Yeah, im on a compaq (q or c?) right now and that has the ((i)) but my acer has no such thing. flicker? thats probably what I have.
FairyGal11 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yeah if its a WIndows VIsta 32bit Acer 5515 series or other then it has that on there.
Thankyou, will try that. Maybe I should learn what all these buttons mean :slow:
FairyGal11 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
k
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Move all your data do an external drive, then pave over everything and install a new OS

I suggest something other than windows but your choice
Thanks, I will have a look, never used anything other than windows, any suggestions?
I have managed to find out what it is now
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Try Ubuntu or Linux mint, they're both very easy to install and use.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
wow...worst advice I've ever seen. What do you work for Geek Squad or something?
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I suppose you have better ones, right...
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I've already voiced my knowledge on this post.
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
Okay we are still not working but the error codes seem to of changed, so I guess things are looking up lol
:iconcrhino:
crhino Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Ooo dear Bridie, seems like you have a befuddle. I don't know what I'm doing either, but every time I've had a big nasty bug, get on the forums, search in any way, shape or form, for your problem. Yeah, 99% of it is shit, alarmist crap, but usually you do eventually find something that sorts it. And don't do anything until you have. Assume they CAN get your info! Might be paranoia, but best be safe. Worst case scenario, you have to re-install windows, but none of us really want that, do we? How the fuck can we remember all our crap? That's what computers are for , right? Missed you btw , hope you're ok las, take care x.
:) missed you also, stop vanishing! befuddle, thats a new one.
:iconlordmalvern:
LordMalvern Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
Hi Kiddo. Long time no chat. I think you may have to do this the hard but only safe way. I remember you losing your pix a few years ago. It might involve backing up all your data and any additional programs you have bought on line. Then formatting your entire drive and reloading the operating system, programs and data. As anti-viruses are blocked it appears that the boot sector has been got at.
Meanwhile check your bank and cards etc. there may be more to this one since it seems pretty malevolent. We must hope that it is just a vile little nerd wanker - all hackers deserve the death penalty.
Send me a Note for more information and a shoulder to cry on. Pxxx
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
Hello :D nice to hear from you.

Thanks, I will have to look up how to do all those things but like a challenge, just hope I can do it quick enough.

Just out of interest if anyone knows am I safe if not connected to the internet or will the virus still be eating away at my system whether im connected or not? I have had it turned off for a few days without touching it.
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
First off you won't be able to connect to the internet in safe mode regardless. Secondly is this a wireless network or are you using an Ethernet cable?
Well I have done in the past 'Safemode with network' allows you to still get onto the internet whilst running in safemode.
It is wireless broadband. 2 other systems running on the same thing and they are both fine.
I opened a dodgy email that took me to www.cupid.com a dating website, it was a very clever cover up because they knew exactly how to get somebody like me to click on it by creating a fake account in my name and insulting me, I clicked on it as it looked genuine and I thought I would be able to figure out who had set up the account enter mcafee showing a trojan had been 'found and destroyed'
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I'd connect with an ethernet cable then to be sure it's not something with your wireless card. If it is an infection it could be the DNS Changer in which case you can run trend micro's house call, and it will clean it up.
What is an ethernet cable? thankyou, if I do this and its not the problem will it have a negative effect?
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
...you don't know that an ethernet cable is? how have you done ANYTHING online that wasn't wireless? Let alone know how to run in safe mode?

Nothing I have suggested will impact you negatively.
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Haha well maybe I do just not the correct name for it, This is the first pc I bought and I've had it three years, I used/use a USB plug in thingy for a while but I dont know the proper name for it, except that it eats credit.

And I dont know, I dont know how im still alive to be honest because im useless at everything.
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
a usb dongle? well yeah I'd expect that thing to be spotty at best in the first place. And if it eats credit I imagine the security is shoty as well.
It was a T-mobile and did it right from the beginning, my sister got the updated version and hers was much cheaper to use. Yes very spotty but is just something I put up with depending on where I live. Thats interesting what you say about the security though, maybe its been dodgy since the beginning.
:icontodootakufer:
todootakufer Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
thanks for that :)
todootakufer Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
to install the serial, internet disconnected so the program will not check the serial and active, just as to when you finish scanning

key

SERIAL......: Q47WW-MR2R8-7M26V-Q9RJW-3Q468
MAIL........: user@intercambiosvirtuales.org
Hello, sorry im confused as to what you mean :confused:
todootakufer Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
disable Remote Desktop, which is generally used to enter the PC from another computer
Okay thanks :D
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Also what was the name of the trojan that McAfee removed?
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Also try disabling McAfee when doing that.
ophelianymph Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
It just said 'Trojan horse' I have tried loading kaspersky from USB and from Disk, none of which are working, on disk it starts to load so far then says 'Error cannot load' and makes a windows bleep noise.
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Also try disabling McAfee when doing that.
Add a Comment: