Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Declared my major as computer engineering; What are some cost effective projects I can do?

:iconvaz612:
Vaz612 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Just to clarify, I've always been interested in computers, but never had the chance to fully analyze or explore the hardware. (My family was poor for a long time, we couldn't afford a computer until I was almost 18)

After being undeclared for a year, I decided on CET as a major. However, I am aware that college courses alone, hands-on or not (There are labs with every CET class) will not be enough for the real world and that I need to be proactive and do things on my own as well.

However, I am going in a bit blind here. What are some easy, cost-effective (I only make minimum wage) computer engineering/computer hardware related projects I can do on my own? (preferably stuff I can teach myself easily since I literally have almost zero experience)

As a side question, what is an easy programming language to learn for a beginner? What are some resources I could use to teach myself basic programming to start with?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhemiolan:
hemiolan Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Python is taught to first year students at my uni, followed by java or c++. Python is quite a "clean" language so I think it's suitable for those haven't got any experience in programming. Sorry that I have no idea about engineer projects and the sorts.
Vaz612 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
...nothing?
Vaz612 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Hmm, anyone else have any ideas?
:iconsakuraluvsuall:
sakuraluvsuall Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Welcome to the pack Fellow Computer Engineering.

From a Computer Engineer in her Senior year at my University I want to welcome you to the most interesting ride of your life. But of course, even if you're an engineering get ready for programming, it's going to be in there too.
Vaz612 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Doesn't really answer my question, but uh... thanks :P
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't really know too many projects you can do since I'm not into hardware, but check and see if your college has a club for robotics or other engineering-related stuff.

Also, you should learn Java. Or C++ if you're feeling a little...
...risqué :horny:

C++ is totally worth it FYI
Add a Comment: