Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Computer rig for 3d and HD video editing?

:iconjohnnydwicked:
johnnydwicked Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Filmographer
I need help deciding which desktop is suitable to run Blender cycles and HD video editing in Premiere and After Effects cs6 efficiently. I currently own a Lenovo y580 with i7 3610qm and Nvidia GTX 660m and that works fine but would like a desktop rig.

My preferred budget is $1000.

One thing I would want for the cpu is Intel i7 3770k and an Nvidia Geforce GPU that supports cuda for Blender Cycles.

Now things like case, motherboard, power supply, cooling unit, etc...I don't have much experience with those.

Please provide links to parts if you believe that building it is cheaper otherwise, provide link to prebuilt recommendations.

Thanks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcma3d:
CMA3D Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional General Artist
Just upgraded to a 670 from a 275 and it works like a charm.

You just missed all the sales (USA Black Friday), but the components should go back down in price right after Christmas/New Year's
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Doesn't Blender use OpenCL?

LGA 2011 would get you more mileage for your usage.
I'd say budget for around $1300-$1400.

LGA 2011
Case: NZXT Phantom [link]
HDD: 1tb Barracuda [link]
GPU: ASUS DC2 660Ti [link]
PSU: Rosewilil capstone 750watt [link]
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16Gb [link]
Mobo: Gigabyte X79-UP4 [link]
CPU: i7-3820 [link]
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 [link]
SSD: Crucial M4 [link]

Total: $1375

LGA 1155
Case: NZXT Phantom [link]
HDD: 1tb Barracuda [link]
GPU: ASUS DC2 660Ti [link]
PSU: Rosewilil capstone 750watt [link]
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16Gb [link]
Mobo: Gigabyte Z77-UD5 [link]
CPU: i7-3770k [link]
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 [link]
SSD: Crucial M4 [link]

Total: $1325

Shop around, should be able to find better prices.
:iconbm23:
bm23 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Good build but there're some things I'd change.
MB: Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Cheaper and perform great
RAM: Go for 2x8gb so that will leave room for upgrade. I used to run 16gb for 3DS MAX but had to upgrade to 32. When I render, i use about 28gb
Cooler: the CM Hyper 212 is great. I actually run the 3770k with that cooler. However, if you're gonna OC, you may need to consider an even better cooler. I'm currently OC-ing at 4.4ghz and the temperature is 72C at 100% CPU load.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
More reason why 2011 would be the better choice, more ram.
True, the 212 is good for up to 4.5Ghz depending on how crappy the chip is with voltage.
:iconzipper-1:
Zipper-1 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Asus has pretty cheap parts and they're quality built if you're looking to build it yourself. I'd avoid Amazon for good parts, Tigerdirect would be your best bet or just Google custom built computer parts, you're bound to turn up a site or two that sells cheap parts. Honestly, Intel is going to slaughter that $1000 budget, you're better off going with AMD. AMD has quad core processors for much cheaper and the same quality too.
:iconarrayofstars:
ArrayOfStars Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
If you want to build a system yourself go to Amazon. They have about the best prices around. Also, check out Amazon for pre-built systems, too. There'll be some good deals coming up.
Add a Comment: