Removing left over sticker residue from electronics

I got an LG HDMI DVD recorder earlier in the year and it had a long (about 1/3 the width of the device), thin metal sticker (the usual "USB | DIVX | DVD-RW" etc.) over the top of the device on the plastic bezel. It left a bit of residue behind but I didn't bother to clean it off as it was only to be used intermittently and was hidden away.

A few months later and its now my primary DVD Player and the residue looks rather unsightly now. I've already done a quick search on removing label residue but I constantly get results for how to remove the sticker itself, not the mess it leaves behind.

What would be the best method for removing old sticker residue without damaging piano black plastic or matte black coloured metal?

-B
Comments17
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
In Australia we either use tee tree or eucalyptus oil.
Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind is nail polish remover.
But I'm pretty sure you shouldn't do that.
Nail polish remover no, its full of Acetone - Acetone free nail polish that my mum happens to have giant bottles of, on the other hand, with a cotton pad, pulled it off instantly!

Wiped over the surface with a damp, soapy sponge afterwards and dried off with a towel. Did the trick. :thumbsup:
I feel useful! :D:
Mr Sheen, spray on, leave for 5 mins, wipe off, presto! gone! i do that with any stickers that leave behind the ripped part or glue on my games
Ordinary white spirit is best for that. (There's a very slight chance of it damaging the finish, test in a corner first if possible).
There's no real corner to test it with (the top of front of the bezel is all gloss, the rest is matte). The cotton pad I was using did turn jet black where its pulled some of the finish off - but the actual device itself has a very slight white smear only noticeable when a few inches away. So its not all bad news. :thumbsup:
Heat. Warm water or just rub it with a finger should do the trick - the friction and oil in your skin will loosen it.

I was going to suggest rubbing alcohol, but now I'm not too sure.
Oh trust me, I tried using my finger. All I got was a red-raw finger. Its dried on pretty good.
I just corrected a typo that wasn't there. wow I feel dumb
Goo-Gon has always worked well for me. Otherwise, try a wet hot towel place it on for like a minute. Then rub lightly see if it will remove.
I can't find goo-gon for the love of money in the UK. I don't think its sold here.
Perhaps? Not sure if that will work or not, but Amazon.co.uk seemed to pull something?

[link]
Never thought to check amazon, I just tried local electronics and nick nak shops.
:thumbsup: Amazon is the best :D