Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

No nothing about gpu compatibility, need to know if any of the latest gpu's would work with my pc.

:iconflaminggoat:
My pc when I got it came with a 2GB GTS240, It uses windows 7 and has 6gb's of ddr3 ram, what I want to know is is the gpu slot and ram type in my pc able to use any of the latest nvidia gpu's?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconallah-saurus:
I checked the power draw on the 670 2GB and it's 170w but you need to take into account what power connections the 670 needs (1x6pin and 1x8pin). The length of the card is 275mm so you'll need to bust out a tape measure to check your case. Although the 670 is a PCI-E 3 card it won't be a bottleneck on a PCI-E 2 motherboard.

No worries buy the card it'll work.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In addition to the above you have to make sure that a new video card will physically fit in your system. Some of the bigger cards (you mentioned a gtx670) won't fit in many cases. You'll also have to make sure that your system can handle the power and that the pci-e slot has enough space around it for the bigger cards.

Did you build this computer or is it stock? Can you get us the model number so we can help you find if stuff will fit? Also, your budget and what you want to do with GPU will help.
It was a stock acer aspire m7721.
:iconj-the-ninja:
J-the-Ninja Dec 1, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Any card will work, assuming your power supply can handle it. If you have a prebuilt machine, this information might not be easy to come by, sadly. Many larger graphics cards require an auxiliary power cable. The GTS 240 does not require this, so your machine may not have one. It's also possible the power supply simple does not output enough juice to run a bigger card. Check your manual, see if you can find any specs on the power supply, and check inside the case for a GPU power line (it should look like a bundle of wires with a square connector on the end, with 6 pins on it. It may or may not have an extra connector with 2 more pins hanging off it.
I found a card close to mine [link], so would like say a GTX 670 2GB GDDR5 256Bit card also work in my system?
I already understand that I need a new power supply.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What computer do you have?
Your computer should have a PCI-E 2.0 slot, so yes you can run the latest graphics cards.
I found out via a search on the internet that my GTS240 is PCIe 2.0 x16 card.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Nov 29, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
what you'll need to look for is the speed of your PCI slot. You'll be able to use a new card but it may not perform to it top potential running on an older slot.
Add a Comment: