Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Questions about Memory for a Laptop

:iconrachburns:
RachBurns Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't exactly know what specifically to call this type of memory...When I check the Computer section, it says my laptop has a total of 255 and I've used til it has about 60 free memory left. (Darn Sims! And darn me for thinking that was a good amount to start with!)

Right now, things are running fairly smoothly but I think I need more memory for the computer sooner than later because it's a 64-bit. And I'm sorry for the upcoming silly questions but I've never been good with doing with a computer without a bit of instruction.
I'm hoping things will last alright until (hopefully) next month when I'll get some money I can spend.
So my questions are:

:bulletgreen: Can I do this myself?
My laptop is a Dell (which was probably my first mistake!), Windows 7. It's...I want to say it's around 1 year and, like I said, for the second it's running alright.

:bulletgreen: In the situation I have, how much would it be wise to buy?
I want to get at least 100-200 if I can afford it and add on more later. IF I can do this much, would it desperately need more?

:bulletgreen: About how much would/should it cost if I get the amount I mentioned?

:bulletgreen: How difficult would it be to install myself?
Especially with Dell being the devil of computers to do anything with. (Still wishing I'd bought the HP! I'll definitely take something else when this one gives up.)

If you have any more instruction/recommendations for me, I'd be happy to hear it! Even if it is scolding for picking the Dell...but I warn that I'll plead ignorance on the choice. XD

Thank you for the time!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Sounds like you're talking about you're hard drive, not your memory. If I were you I'd pick up an external drive and move your files over. Then you can install anything new from there as well. As a rule of thumb, once "fill up" half of the space on your hard drive then things will start to slow down.

Also dell makes very good laptops, while hp ones tend to overheat.

Generally you can find a nice external drive for under $100
RachBurns Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh that's relieving. XD It means that my virus/malware scanners aren't telling me stories when they're not finding anything!

In looking for an external, does it matter who the maker is? I know that Dell usually requires everything to be 'Dell' for it to work.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
nah it doesn't matter at all. external drives interface via usb so there's no problem there. Western Digital makes some solid drives if you are looking for quality.
I'll make note of that, thank you. ^^
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
This is a guide: [link]
You're looking at hard drive space, not memory. Both memory (RAM) and hard drive are upgradable. A new 500GB drive will be something like this: [link] If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, you can install it yourself. You'll also have to install your OS on it.
Hm! Thank you for the guide and the link to the bit on Amazon!

I'm not sure I could take things apart like the guide shows. I'm the sort that any small pieces are bound to get lost or something. So would I be able to buy the drive and take the laptop and drive somewhere?
Yeah, any competent shop can do it for you. Usually they won't charge much if you buy the drive from them.
RachBurns Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Great! Thank you very much for your help. ^^
:icontbterra:
tbterra Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm sorry but it is really hard to tell what you mean by 255 without giving it some units. if its 255GB then that's an insane amount of memory, if its 255MB then you need and upgrade and if its 255KB then why are you using a 20 year old pc.

I have my doubts that 255 is the amount of ram due to the way that 255GB is huge and 255MB is not enough to run win7
is it possible that that is your hard drive that is 255GB (with 60GB remaining)

At the moment new ram costs about 20-25 for 4GB which is fine for most things

i would need to know what model laptop it is in order to give advise on self fitting bu a google search of 'replacing ram for <insert laptop name here>' should give you the information you need
Add a Comment: