Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Which to buy - Cintiq 22HD, Cintiq 12Wx or Samsung ATIV?

:iconadamnicholson:
adamnicholson Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi, I am considering the 3 following 3 options, but don't know which is best. I am a Product Designer and keen to move into digital art. I all else fails I will improve my Sketch Work and illustration. I already use a Wacom Bamboo and it is good, but I really want to draw digitally onto the screen:

1. Wacom Cintiq 22HD - Expensive, but I would see it as the most professional choice. The price tag is high and with a PC I am looking over 1500 (ex. VAT) - Is it really that good?

2. Wacom Cintiq 12WX - inexpensive and can be bought second hand for around half the retail price with a PC for around 800. The jitter issue worries me and would I need to upgrade after a while?

3. Samsung ATIV tablet PC Pro (better one with i5 CPU and 4Gb RAM) - seen youtube reviews and they look good. The model tested was a lower spec ATIV and was a little slow with large brushes, so I thin the faster version would solve a lot of this.

I will really appreciate any advice offered.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhemiolan:
hemiolan Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
Wacom is playing an almost monopoly game so they can totally charge premium prices. Also working on a 22" screen is a bliss.

Technically concerned, most tablet pcs have 256lvls of sensitivity while the Cintiqs have 2048 and the milligram-pressure is superior. To be frank, I have no idea what the milligram-pressure is and what differences it makes, I cannot see the difference in sensitive levels either and neither do most digital artists I know, but some do complain about such inferior of tablet pc. It also lacks tilt sensitivity but not all wants this so it's depend if tablet pc suits ones' needs.

The other thing you need to consider is the balance between productivity and portability.

As for me, tablet pc's are great and can totally get the work done but their batteries only last 2-3hrs in performance mode. I might also need another input device to access shortcut keys, which likely ruins the purpose of portability. Consequently I still need to stick with my workstation most of the time and only make leisure sketch on the go.

I think it's better for you to look up for resellers who charge minimal restocking fees to try the slate before making decision.
adamnicholson Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thankyou for the advice. One thing I never considered also is the compatibility of Photoshop. I have a mac version and unless it is the latest version (mine is CS5) it cannot be swapped between platforms.
Therefore a PC is out for me.
I have opted to go for a Cintiq 12WX for the following reasons:
1. I am unsure if I need a 22HD model - I will zoom and pan more.
2. It is far cheaper
3. It should hold value quite well, so I can sell it when I upgrade (if i do).

I am new to Cintiqs and whilst researching them I found the following criticisms and my responses are below:
1. The brightness of the screen is fine - mine is set to 50% and it is comfortable to use.
2. The grainy look to the screen from the anti-glare. I think the picture is fine and looks good.
3. Colours are not bright - I am fine with that. Can't really tell unless its compared to another monitor.
4. The resolution is low - 800x600 is not bad ona 12" screen.
5. The pen jitters near the edges - it does by a small amount, but no where near as bad as I was lead to believe.

In essence I am really pleased with my purchase. I have bought a screen protector because I am unsure of the scratching issues I have read about - again, no problem.
hemiolan Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
And believe me, you can't settle with 800x600 as time goes :D
Congrats on your purchase, it seems the 12WX is really a good fit for you. Yet I'm surprised to know the resolution is that low, it's supposed to be at least 1280x800 for any 12"-ish device I believe.
adamnicholson Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My mistake - it is indeed 1280x800 and looks fine when I'm using it.

Thankyou - are you a Wacom Cintiq user?
Guess I can say I was. I had the chance to use a Cintiq 21UX at the workplace where I went for a part-time job. It was indeed nice experiences! Now I settle with a 12" tablet pc for a more all-around device. I love the fact that I can use it as a pc as well, the screen is also gorgeous but I really wish the resolution could go up higher for more screen estate.
:iconpodapanda:
podapanda Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sorry, can't offer any help, but I'm actually thinking of this same decision (minus the first option). Reading the reviews, I'm leaning on going with the samsung ativ pro. Hopefully someone can come in and chime in if they have first hand experience with either.
adamnicholson Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This is a good option in my opinion, but I am not sure yet whether it is the best for me? Looking reviews I would definitely go for the ATIV pro (intel celeron and 4Gb RAM). Otherwise it seems to struggle with larger brushes.
One key consideration is that it is entirely portable - but good enough for high quality artwork??? Are you in the UK?
:iconpodapanda:
podapanda Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
for the ativ pro, it seems like a no brainer to me actually over the cintiq 12wx. here's what i found just from doing the research on paper:

- the ativ pro is a complete pc (with decent hardware it seems)
- ativ pro has a brighter screen (400 nits vs 200 nits for the wacom)
- far better portability (no power brick on the ativ which is present on the wacom)
- bigger screen area for actual work (wacom starts to get spotty around the edges)

both have the same pressure levles (1024), but it'll be interesting to see how the s-pen on the ativ actually performs. i'll really curious to play with one myself before making the purchase. i don't know, it seems the cintiq is the standard in terms of pen on display, but i'm really wondering if these new tablets with wacom digitizers feel just as good.

btw, i'm in the US on the east coast. is the ativ pro readily available in teh uk? it seems pretty much sold out everywhere over here.
adamnicholson Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi There, I am fast removing the 12WX from the equation. I f I decide to go for a more high end, but fixed option I will got for the 22HD Cintiq. If not I will go for the ATIV - as you say, no real competition.

The ATIV exclusive to one store for another week, but they are offering a 5 year warranty and it is in stock! A good price too! The Wacom 12WX's problem around the edges worries me for such an expensive item I would want it to be perfect.

I need to weigh up whether the 1500 price tag is worth the 22HD and a PC - if not I will go for the ATIV.
Add a Comment: