Closed to new replies
November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

In the market for a Tablet PC

:iconsurlyqueen:
SurlyQueen Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I'm in the market for a tablet PC (NOT something to plug into my desktop), and I'd had my eye on the Asus Eee Slate ep121, but I may have missed the boat on that one as it is (along with the rest of the Eee series) discontinued.

Their Vivo Tab looked promising, but the screen is a good deal smaller than the Slate, so I would like to find something with a similar sized screen (12.1 inches). Not to mention that the the RT version is the only one currently available.

I'm looking for something with a pen and attatchable keyboard, full Windows capabilities, that I can put Photoshop and Paintool Sai on. Somewhere $1000, but I'm interested in learning about PCs in either a higher or lowere price range.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfrosen24:
fROSEn24 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
dont forget about the motion computing le 1600 and 1700 tablet pcs............they are awesome for drawing i got one a few months back and like wow very very responsive and no lag unles you use photoshop to draw (or use a thousand layers) but its good i use sketchbook and sai. Also its the cheapest on the market i got my for $75 used just for a small crack on the screen and the go from there to $185. i think the most expensive is like $400 new but why buy new ones when the used ones are very decent. plus its an excellent alternative to the wacom cintiq 12x because its a 12 inch screen as well almost $800 cheaper
:iconthe-golden-knight:
The-Golden-Knight Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Y'know, I have the same idea for my own wishlist. :lol:
:iconstarluck:
starluck Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
I've been using a Lenovo flip top tablet for several years and it's fantastic.
SurlyQueen Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Hrm...I've never heard of those guys, I'll have to check them out...
:iconhemiolan:
hemiolan Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
I believe starluck was talking about Lenovo's X series Tablet. I also got one (X201T) and yes, it's fantastic, which is quite the same impression any pen-abled tablet pc out there brings. However, most of them are convertible (laptop with rotatable and foldable screen). If you insist on slates, there are Samsung ativ 700t (core-i cpu), 500t (atom) and the older Slate 7 (i5)
SurlyQueen Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
I definitely want something of a convertible nature, though I'd prefer for the keyboard to be completely removable. I'm still in the research phase, so a Slate's not a must have, but I am curious to try one out since they've added the pen their new series. I hear the pressure sensitivity on them is great, but not sure how compatible it is with Photoshop, Sai, etc.

Thanks for the info, I'll ad the Lenovo to my list of things to look into.
hemiolan Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
As long as the device uses wacom, it's good with PS and SAI. Besides, all of the tablet pc's (convertibles, slates) powered by wacom of the recent 4-5 years have the SAME levels of pressure sensitivity (256, only the Modbook has 512 lvls) so you will hardly see any differences between the current and older machines
SurlyQueen Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Gotcha. I'd read in some forums that some machines needed to have a bunch of stuff downloaded to them for the pen to work properly (I don't recall if the Slates were mentioned, specifically.). Not that this is a problem, per se, but somewhat of an annoyance. I like for stuff to just work out of the box ^_^;
hemiolan Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
It's asus ep121's driver issue in Win 8 that I know of, it and the others work out-of-the-box in Win 7 though. There are some tablets powered by N-Trig might require additional downloads but we're talking about those powered by Wacom so it's irrelevant. Not so sure about the current machines with Win 8 pre-installed but I haven't heard/read any complaint about them not functioning properly.
:icongreentofu:
greentofu Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Oh lookie , someone who wants to buy a vivo just like me :D.

I'm buying it instead of a cintiq. ( Not that I can't afford one but ... i like to save money :D )

You can find second hand Eee slates for around 400$.

They will release the Vivo tab ( The Windows 8 version not RT ) pretty soon but it'll be around 700$. ( I think it's more like 800 ) which is pretty expensive but oh well.

Do not get the Vivo tab Smart since it doesn't have the digitizer option. So goodbye the 1024 levels of pressure.

There is the Samsung Slate 7 windows 8 which is out but it's pretty darn expensive ( around 900$ ).

I hope I'll be able to get the tablet either second hand ( but in good condition ) or cheap during winter sales.
Add a Comment: