Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

What are YOUR experiences with tablet PCs?

:iconthezeronumber:
thezeronumber Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
I recently purchased a refurbished and upgraded Toshiba Tecra M7 for a little over 300. It's a 2006 convertible laptop tablet - a dinosaur by today's standards - which sold for $2,000 back then but now runs on 4Gb of Ram, a dual-core @ 2Ghz and has a 14.1" screen @ 1440x900 resolution, not forgetting it's Wacom (P)enabled too (256 levels of pressure).

I'm looking at 10-20 days of impatiently twiddling my thumbs while I wait for it to arrive from the US so I thought I'd find out what people think of their own. If you don't own a tablet PC then these questions are moot but I would also be interested in knowing what non-tablet PC users think of such devices.

1. What tablet PC do you own?
2. What programmes do you use on it (Paint Tool Sai, Photoshop, Zbrush)? Are there any pros/cons when using these programmes that are different to using them on a Desktop?
3. Outside of programmes and ignoring battery life, are there any other pros/cons that are different to using a Desktop?
4. Do you have any examples which showcase such pros/cons in your work?
5. Finally, if you could turn back time would you still have used/be using a tablet PC or would you have gone down a different route?

Thanks. :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Artist
I have an HP touchsmart tx2 from 4 years ago or so

I use it mostly for programming :p the digitizer has been broken for the last three years or so... although it's recently started magically working again so we'll see on that

It's a laptop. It's not really comparable to a desktop.

I can program on it while in class, meaning that when there are bugs in my programs I can iron them out at the last minute while not listening to my professor talk about about page files.

I would have bought a mac book pro. Although, I've been pretty happy with the thing :shrug: it hasn't lit on fire and for an HP, that's an accomplishment. I've run it through Windows Vista, 7, every version of Ubuntu 10.04-11.10, a brief time with openBSD and Windows 8 for the last 12 months :dummy:
:iconthezeronumber:
thezeronumber Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
I know what you mean about HP, I don't trust their products. I bought a laptop of theirs in 05/06 (one of the DV6xxx models) to help with school work while I was away from home. In the span of a year the following happened (and as far as I can tell it was in this order):

1. The power button became very hard to push.
2. The left speaker died.
3. The built in WiFi died.
4. The power button stopped working.
5. The right speaker died, completing the pair.
6. The casing of the cable as it joins the power pack MELTED and exposed the wiring.
7. The power cable died.
8. At some point throughout this the battery started to hold absolutely no charge and had to be plugged in at all times.

You might be wondering how I could turn the laptop on without a power button. Well, the laptop had a dedicated QuickLaunch button which booted the system into a media player without starting Windows and you could choose to exit out and boot into the OS, so I tried that but it kept on returning to the media player. After a couple of days I realised if you spammed ctrl+alt+del as the media player was loading it would force the laptop into a reset and would manually resort to booting Windows. After that I select "boot Windows normally" (as it saw it as a crash) and it would work. To this day this is the only way to get into Windows.

As for the power cable, I rang HP up to explain this (what a joke) and got nowhere so I opted for an e-mail. A week later I got a reply stating they would not send me a new power cable out or be held responsible for any mistreatment (!) on my part but were more than happy to send me a link so I could buy a new one for the 30 they wanted. In reply I told them (politely) where to stick that idea and instead borrowed a multi-function power kit from a friend.

/RantOnTheirTerribleProductsAndService

...Anyway! :roll:
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Artist
:shrug: HP is hit and miss.

This laptop runs too hot and they recalled the power brick...I just strapped a huge heat-sink to the power brick and the laptop just gets hot because the fan is too small for the processor. Given that it's 4 years old and still running I can't complain too much.

I also have an 06 DV6xxx :la: the wifi has burned out twice. Good thing I bought replacements in a 5-pack on ebay. The power button is fucked and it's on its third power brick :dummy: I just use it as a tv because we get tv over our the ethernet where I work. So it's like my secondary, old, I-don't-give-a-fuck laptop. Also the HDD is grinding like a New Jersey night club... I can't be bothered to care :p
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My HP laptop's monitor just died... I had to hook up an external monitor to it. The laptop is like almost 10 years old and that's the only thing wrong with it so I guess that's not so bad, I don't use it for much anyway.
Add a Comment: