Closed to new replies
November 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

Laptop/Notebook help?

:iconnoleetida:
Noleetida Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I've been waiting a year or so to get a laptop or netbook for school. But i really wanna get one after replacing my main tower with a mboard. I need something that is portable tho i love my desktop to complete death..

My preferences are as such:

- portable (obviously LOL)
- usb port(s)
- durability
- decent battery life
- the ability to multitask (isnt really needed but i tend to watch vids an look up ref's)
- Can use gimp/word/photoshop/gaming

The main reason why I'm buying this is for use at school, which is why portability/durability/battery life/multitasking is important. But I really need it to be good for digital drawing also.

- I already have a wacom intuos 3 that still works brand new an most of my art is done by gimp but i do use photoshop cs6.
- I tend to play pwi an sims 3 an other games on my pc. Which are mostly 1gb ram only needed but as most people know most ram is set as 2 or above so 2+ ram would be okay. 4 or more would be even nicer XD

My current tower specs are 3.0ghz intel dual core an 2+ gb of ram with 300+ gb of memory. An yeas the intel dual core is around 2006 time but this pc has gone through alot with me lol. I also have a fairly large monitor with it that i will use on the netbook/laptop obviously. So anything 15+ is not needed, maybe even 14+. Since i tend to use headphones alot loud speakers really arnt needed.

I do know general to i think basic stuff on computers but i must admit i really dont know much about processors or brands. I have only had a custom built tower (as you read) so i cant admit on most brands. In my opinion tho hp's tend to overheat fairly quickly. I did use a compaq before but was really old. And my mom uses a Toshiba which is going on 5+ years old an is still working great other then having a issue with the webcam connecting an disconnecting lol. But that is generally all i know on brand knowledge.

As a side note, we don't have that big of a budget. Less than $900 would be preferable, but I really don't know about price/quality.

Any other questions please ask
:)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconraining-insanity:
Raining-Insanity Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Stick with everything besides Lenovo or HP. Asus or Toshiba is a good way to go, of course if you have around $1200 to spend on it. Samsung laptops get good reviews on performance (if you don't care about sleek design of the laptop). Dell also makes good laptops, but also the price of quality ones doesn't drop below $1000.
By the specifications you want, I think this is the right choice for you:
[link]
(Sorry that the page is on Croatian, the specs are on English)

Reposting, sorry
Noleetida Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Digital Artist
i was able to translate it :D

an yes sadly i am noticing that u have to have 1k or above to grab a nice laptop.

might i inquire y not lenovo?
Raining-Insanity Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Because their laptops are either too cheap or too expensive, and the quality is definitely not balanced out with those with high prices.
Noleetida Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Digital Artist
oh o.o
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Ok here's what to look for:
- Battery life at 6+ hours
- Intel Core i5 Processor
- 4GB RAM (Memory) (4 is the bare minimum on most laptops, if you can get 6 or 8 that would be better)
- Full HD resolution screen (it's not mandatory, but it will make a huge difference in your photoshop work.

Ideally you'll be looking for a 14-inch laptop. Probably from a vendor like asus, lenovo, or hp. Considering the release of windows 8 I'd suggest looking at some of the new models that use touch screens.
Stick with everything besides Lenovo or HP. Asus or Toshiba is a good way to go, of course if you have around $1200 to spend on it. Samsung laptops get good reviews on performance (if you don't care about sleek design of the laptop). Dell also makes good laptops, but also the price of quality ones doesn't drop below $1000.
By the specifications you want, I think this is the right choice for you:
[link]
(Sorry that the page is on Croatian, the specs are on English)
Whoops, sorry. I thought you were the original poster. O.o sorry.
Yup I agree with the Toshiba thing anyway. Most of the under-$1000 Toshiba products have low RAM and integrated GPU, horrible.
My laptop is Asus and it has lasted for good 6 years. It's a good brand to me, it survived me and my sister :D
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Toshiba used to be better, they don't have a good price to hardware ratio anymore. Asus is pretty solid but they've got some weird misses here and there. Also you may want to recopy this reply, it wasn't to the original poster who needs this advice.
Noleetida Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Well I was lookn at asus but anything lower then 1k uses uma gpu an all hp I seen overheat fast :/
Add a Comment: