November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Twinkle, twinkle, little screen... :(

:iconfireflyalpha:
FireflyAlpha Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hey there, artsy people.

I got a new screen yesterday (ASUS VE228 LCD) in addition to my old ol' one (DELL E177FP LCD), and it is flickering.
I'm running the ASUS at 1920 by 1080 pixels. The native setting is 60 Hz, which made it flicker reeeal bad (kinda looked like waves or dunes diagonally wandering over the screen and gave me real bad headaches). Using the Nvidia driver I changed it to 70 Hz which reduced the flickering to fine horizontal lines, which is acceptable to work with for small periods of time, but still not a setting I'm willing to learn to cope with. The secondary screen also has a light flickering but that's been there forever and isn't hurting to much (would be nice to get rid of, too, though).

Now I've already removed all unneccessary wires and devices from the screens and their cables. Thing that's confusing me is: If I choose a smaller resolution which naturally supports 75 Hz, the flickering disappears entirely. But if I try to change the frequency to 75 Hz at 1920 x 1080, using the Nvidia tool, it just sais "Out of Range" and gives me a black screen.

Any advice would be appreciated.
And soon would be nice, got some deadlines coming up :/

Thanks in advance!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What graphics card do you have?
FireflyAlpha Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
A real bad one. Am about to upgrade once I get some new income.

It's the NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Do you have a computer you can try the monitor with, or onboard video out? Could just be the monitor.
The flicker is pretty common when using LCD displays over vga tho.

I have an LG monitor (1920*1080@60Hz) connected to vga on a 8400GS as well and I don't get any flicker; tho using the onboard video it does flicker somewhat.
No flicker over vga on my ASUS VW246H (1920*1080@75Hz)connected to a Radeon 6670 either.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artist
What input are you using? If it's VGA then that's your problem. You need to use HDMI or DVI for that monitor to work correctly at native res.
Okay so I rechecked - I have the VE228DR, which does not come with a HDMI-socket. The guide that came with it is for the VE228xR, which does. So is it really necessary to run it via HDMI if it doesn't even have the port for it?
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Artist
The only 1920x1080 mode that is supported for your monitor is 60 Hz

Don't use anything other than that if you can help it. Also, update your video drivers if you haven't already.

Finally, if it doesn't work correctly at 1920x1080x60 then you should consider that your monitor, your gpu, or both are broken.
But it doesn't even have an HDMI socket... although the "quick start guide" says there is one (it also mentions an audio/earphone socket and volume control buttons that aren't there Oo).

There's only the power and a VGA-socket in the back...
Add a Comment: