Closed to new replies
November 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Intuos4 S or Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch M?

:iconwhiteslate:
WhiteSlate Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been considering buying a graphics tablet for a while now as an extra tool for for my graphic design course and for painting and design at home. I haven't got a huge budget (150 absolute maximum, 100 preferable) but I'm willing to buy second hand as long as the quality is good.

After reading reviews and looking around, I've found an Intuos4 Small for 100 new ([link]) and a Bamboo Fun M Pen and Touch (CTH-661) for 115 ([link]). Obviously, the Intuos4 is a better tablet, but I'm worried about the small surface area being an issue. I've never used a tablet before and haven't really got access to one either, so I'm not sure if this is a genuine concern or not

Would anyone here be able to advise me which one to chose, or suggest an alternative?
Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This depend of your screen size, If you have small laptop screen, let say 15" or smaller you can try a small tablet, but with a larger screen you should prefer larger tablet. To make your drawing feel natural you have to make the movement of your hand the most similar to the result on the screen.
This is why it's much easier to draw on a cintiq, your movement is exactly your drawing.
:iconmcwilliams13:
i went from a genius tablet nothing special to the intuos4 small and i love it learned everything fast mapping , setting etc... if i needed anything to learn i asked my friends or just youtube it .. either way you will always get better. keep the art going hope you find the one for you
:iconwhiteslate:
WhiteSlate Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks a lot Pyro! I'll go with that then.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Probably better to start with the larger Bamboo and then, if you really use it a lot over the next year or two you can easily justify spending the money on a proper intuos 5. The small tablets aren't that great for drawing because you can't really get the long strokes that make a tablet useful in the first place. The pressure sensitivity isn't really that much of an issue if you're just starting out. The Bamboo has more than enough.

There are also build-quality things that make the intuos more expensive but if you take good care of the things it won't be an issue.
Add a Comment: