Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Torn between two tablets...Someone with experience of wacom tablets please comment

:icontera-rose:
Tera-Rose Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student General Artist
Hey, So I've recently decided to upgrade my tablet.
Going from an old Trust TB-5300 tablet which served me for about 3 years.
I'm torn between getting a Wacom intuos 4 (recommend a size please), and a wacom cintiq 12". It's really more a debate on weather to get a pen display or not, I've seen my friend using his cintiq and noticed it lagged the odd time when he was drawing so this is slightly putting me off the cintiq. ONe day I hope to actually get a cintiq 24" HD pen tablet but... well I'm a first year animation student and I want something that will serve its purpose for the next 4+ years. What would you recommened?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfrankfreakified:
frankfreakified Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Declan would tell you to get the cintiq cause it's Declan.
But tbh, even my fashion drawing lecturer recommends the intuos, she said she's had hers for years and never had a problem with it :3
Tera-Rose Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student General Artist
ended up buying the intuos 4, would declan mind if I played about on his cintiq? I just wanna see what its like before I ever plan on buying one haha
:iconfrankfreakified:
frankfreakified Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
He might let you....O_____o
He's very VERY protective of it, He didn't even wanna let me use it.
But ask sure xD
He might be more willing to let you cause you know what you're doing xD

And let me know how the Intuos 4 is, I need a tablet for when I start digital Fashion Illustration in Jan xD
Tera-Rose Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
I'd say get a bamboo fun and touch, same specs as the intuos 4 but cheaper.
The nibs for my intuos wear down fast, its been only a week and one nibs been worn down to half its size. that's just how it is tho. Idk i'd get a cheaper tablet starting off then after im well used to is splashing out. S'what i did tho :L
You can get wacom bamboos for like 80 euro with same pen pressure as the intuos (thats all that really matters for a tablet), and intuos it 250+
:icontuttie:
Tuttie Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student
I have an Intuos3 and I love it because it's small and portable.
:iconwill2power71:
will2power71 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Nothing's going to be as real as drawing on paper, but I've got an Intuos4 Large, and I liked having the real estate. I can use my arm more when I have a larger space like that. Personally, I don't like having to keep realigning the tablet with the screen if I have a big drawing. I pretty much decided that I would leave it on the desk, and I'm getting a tablet to take with me when I am away from my main computer. To me, I'd rather have less to carry. If you go the Intuos route for drawing on the go, then it means grabbing the laptop, the tablet, an external mouse because I hate the touchpad --but then I have to worry about the usb dongle for the mouse. More cords, more things to shove in a bag and suddenly you're carrying around a setup identical to your desktop. If I'm going to spend the money on something I can use anywhere then I really wouldn't favor the Cintiq or the Intuos.

But it sounds to me like you're comfortable with it, so I'd just stick with what you're already used to.
:iconmuetzus:
MuetzuS Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student Interface Designer
I would prefer the intuos 5! I'm using it for myself since July and I am quite happy with it.

I also worked with the cintiq for a time but in my opinion it sucked very hard. :\ (bad english, I should hit myself. :3 :<)
Tera-Rose Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student General Artist
How did you find the intuos?
I'm not too fond of the idea of the intuos 5 being a touch tablet also.

What did you find wrong with the cintiq? :)
:iconmuetzus:
MuetzuS Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Well, you also could buy the Intuos5 without the touch. ;) Or only deactivate it. I did the same because the function is complete crap. Nobody needs such a feature.

Don't know... I just wasn't happy with it. Too big. Too heavy. Not the same monitor as the pc-screen. Etc. Several small problems I had with it, but I think that's only my personal opinion.
At my workplace most people also prefer the Intuos-Series. I think you should try them before buying. :)
Sometimes it also bothered me that the cintiq has a little glasplate on it, so you have sometimes a little displacment because of the optical view.
:iconwill2power71:
will2power71 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think this is largely going to depend on how you do your best work. I like the Cintiq personally because I grew up in a pen and paper environment. My eyes are accustomed to the paper beneath me as well as my hands. The Cintiq display is the closest thing to drawing on paper for someone like me. But if you've started as an artist using a tablet --you're already used to drawing with your hand while looking at the screen. With an Intuos4 or 5, you'll be able to get larger drawing real estate. For the cost of a 12wx you can get the Intuos4 Extra large which has 21.5 inch surface to work with. Since they're both made by the same company, there isn't really going to be a concern about the difference in quality. It's going to boil down to what works best for you and what you are willing to part with. But if you're going to go for longevity, I would get the intuos4 extra large, and start socking money away for the 22HD or 24HD Cintiq.
Add a Comment: