Closed to new replies
November 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Which of these Laptops best for digital art/gaming

:icongreyocelot:
GreyOcelot Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
hi currently using a dell studio 17 which is getting a bit old now only 2gb ram(2x1gb) and windows vista, only recently started doing digital art using photoshop cs6 and working in high resolutions is being a pain due to delay in brush strokes especially when using larger brushes and effects. was waiting afew months to buy an alienware as i was looking for something abit more long lasting in terms of spec but have seen these 2 laptops just short on performance but nearly half the price. I primarily want it for photoshop and gaming is just an extra that i would probably rarely use it for anyway its just something id like to be able to do if i have time in future. here are the 2 im looking at and im lost at which to choose:

Sony Vaio SVE1712Z1EB 900 [link]
Windows 8, Intel Core i7 3632QM (2.2GHz to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost), AMD Radeon HD 7650M 1GB, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM

Samsung Chronos 700Z7C-SO2 1000 [link]
Windows 8, Intel Core i7 3635QM (2.4GHz), ANvidia GeForce GT 640M 1GB, 1TB + 8SSD, 8GB RAM

Both are 17.3" with a 1920 x 1080 res, small extras like blu-ray player arent important to me, my knowledge when it comes to the tech is limited i have what id call average knowledge of the parts but i wouldnt know how they apply to the digital art e.g the SSD on samsung vs the turboboost and graphics card in sony, which would be more beneficial to my needs. Also i was looking into upgrading the RAM on either in future to 2x8GB sticks if i should need it the ability to upgrade would be a positive however looking into the Sony specs as far as i can see 8GB is the limit and pretty hard to find the limit for the Samsung maybe because its new. if anyone could please provide their view it would be greatly appreciated as im lost between the 2 to be honest and dont want to make the wrong decision.

thank you :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconiphonerepairs:
iphonerepairs Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
You can use windows 7 as the operating system and the ram should be above at least 6GB.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Neither.

See here [link] Add the i7-3630qm, 8GB Kingston (2*4GB) 1600mhz ram (upgradeable to 24gb with Windows 7/8 Pro 64bit), 120GB Intel 520 ssd, 1tb Scorpio Blue - 901.
Or [link] add the 1920*1080 display, i7-3630qm, 8GB Kingston 1600Mhz (2*4Gb) ram. GT 640m, 120GB Intel 520 ssd, 1tb Scorpio blue - 825.

Alienwares are overpriced...
Was going to get it from john lewis as I can collect it from waitrose as I'm at work but those specs sound good for the price do they build it for you?
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yep.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Samsung because of Nvidia :shrug:
I am swaying towards the Samsung at the moment I looked up the i7 on each and it appears the Samsung is faster and has turboboost plus the ssd and possibility of upgradable ram for only 100 more. What's difference between the nvidia and amd I tried to look up both but graphics cards obviously aren't as straight forward as the rest of the hardware
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
All you need to know about NVIDIA is that it's much more reliable than ATI. The 100 difference isnt bad, either.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
The Chronos looks much nicer due to it's longer battery life. If you're looking for more ram though I'd probably suggest looking into a desktop, unless you absolutely have to move around with your work.
has to be a laptop need something portable as i may need to take it to work in future for work on my employers website, also i tend to leave my laptop constantly plugged into the power source as if it were a portable desktop so battery life shouldnt be an issue unless ive been doing something wrong and its not supposed to be left plugged in all the time lol.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
you'd probably be fine with the less expensive one then.
Add a Comment: