Tablet USB Not Recognized. Please Help. :(

I have an intous5 tablet.
I was using it
And all the sudden it stopped working.
I've tried reinstalling the driver. I've tried restarting the computer.

Nothing works.

Usb Device not recognized,
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned,and Windows does not recognize it.
^that's the message I get.

I even installed a microsoft app meant for fixing those kinds of errors and it couldn't do it.

And AS USUAL, the wacom support is no help at all.

If your reading this and plan on getting a tablet, I recommend NOT going with Wacom.
I've had more trouble with their tablets than what it's worth.
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It might be good to make a video of the problem?

I want to go down a list of things for me...

0. Did the tablet EVER work?, I have heard stories of devices getting damaged during shipping, it happens all the time actualy more than you think.
Answer you need to contact the store you bought it from or Wacom themselves.
( tho its easier said than done

1. Is the light on to the tablet.? the blue light, that turns green when tablet contacts.
( if it isnt' on most likely the USB your using is either defective or there is a wiring problem)
Answer for this Try different USB sockets. different computers ect. if still no luck and you got no lights the thing might be shorted out.

2. If the light is working and is blue but is not getting any interaction your pen might be broke
or defective
Answer get a new pen

3. A common problem with the tablet is that it works but the mouse is slow and the pen behaves like a mouse and not a tablet. ( and you have to drag it)
Answer that is a driver issue
Thanks for the help. really.

the tablet worked for JUST more than 30 days. Yeah, what luck.

when I plug it in the light turns on for a second and turns off. so I know the wiring is good.
i've tried using different usb sockets, and 2 computers. all doesn't work.

and I've got two pens, neither work. and the tablet mouse that came with it. the buttons don't do anything either.

SO. I guess it just went to shit inside (instantly cuz' it was working fine then PDGSIFHHUOnotworkingDUOIBGDSHV)

Now I gotta send this tablet into wacom, as well as my other one, where it costs 40$ JUST for them to look at it.
.yay.
that sucks, tablets don't last forever.
Mine is starting to wear out physically. that plastic cover in the middle of the usablespace
is so gashed and pieces are just tattered.
If the tablet driver is malfunctioning, check your registry. Use "regedit.exe" (Search on your computer's start menu and click "advanced search." Now you may search in non-indexed locations, and regedit will appear.)
Once you've opened the registries, HKEY CURRENT USER should contain a key called Wacom, delete it. Reinstall the driver. You can download the driver for the intuos5 here.

If unplugging it and plugging it back in is all that works, it may the connecting wire. It's a Wacom, so you can probably find a replacement for ~$10 on their site. If they're not selling them, you may be able to find one for even less on Amazon.
Sorry for the slow response to this.

I tried your advice, a couple times now and I still get the same message.
SO. I think it's actually defective somehow, so I"m just gonna send it in to Wacom to get it repaired.

Thanks a bunch for the help! c:
I'm going to help you, I got some IT background and have used Wacom for a long time, and have dealt with printers doing the same thing as your tablet is.

However, I will start off by saying Wacom Tablets have worked fine for me since 2006 when my mom bought me a Graphire 4 tablet (like the predecessor to the Wacom Bamboo tablet) at Christmastime and nothing has really changed my views on that (Though I eventually gave my Graphire to a friend and bought a Small Intuos 4, then gave that to a friend and got a Larger one on a sale). The most trouble I have had is incidentally with Flash CS5 and above on both Microsoft Windows 7 and Mac OS X, when using the tablet, but I dunno who to blame there as I downgraded to CS4 or Flash 8 depending on the OS and everything is fine. CS4 and below works fine with my Intuos4 Large so I cannot blame Wacom exclusively there. I know perception is the only reality for some, but it just seems to be a streak of bad luck. I personally have had better luck with Wacom than other tablet brands (though some friends did start out using Adisso but I cannot speak for that brand).

Anyhow, a possible remedy:

First, uninstall the driver completely from the control panel. Also uninstall the Microsoft app you mentioned if possible, so we can start from scratch. If it asks you to reboot, do so. Upon rebooting, unplug the driver.

Two, install CCleaner from Piriform. Run the CCleaner part and the Registry part. The problem is sometimes a bad install can leave stuff behind on install, or an uninstaller doesn't do a 100% job. Run both the CCleaner disk cleaner (it cleans junk left over such as temporary files and unneeded install stuff in general) as well as the Registry cleaner (which is stored in a database and not files). It's a freeware app and can be found here: [link] (link goes off dA's website). It does ask to install Google Chrome if you don't have it, but it's perfectly fine to untick that and aside that, the program has no bundleware and is malware free.

Three, reboot, and then install the Wacom driver from the official website: [link] select your model and OS and then click download for the latest one (usually towards the top).

Four, reboot once again even if it doesn't prompt you to do so. Just to ensure the driver is in memory on startup. Then plug in the USB cord to the tablet.

If you continue to have problems the tablet could be defective OR your operating system has something wrong with it, or it could be a deeper issue than just a bad install.

Good luck.
Sorry for the slow response to this.

I tried your advice, a couple times now and I still get the same message.
SO. I think it's actually defective somehow, so I"m just gonna send it in to Wacom to get it repaired.

Thanks a bunch for the help! Like really. I didn't even really expect any at all. haha c:
Yeah, I say something went wrong at a hardware level if this is happening even now.

I hope they fix it. :o
In addition, I found my Wacom tablet was having alot of trouble since I'm using Windows 7 now, and it turns out 90% of it was Windows 7's doing and not Wacom.

See, in the past, Windows XP and below had nothing to do with Tablet PCs and to have it so you had to use a different version of XP. So aside Wacom's own tablet functionality, nothing was overriding your tablet.

Windows Vista, 7 and 8 all integrate this stuff from XP Tablet PC Edition and by default... Whenever you connect your tablet to this, it causes trouble because Vista and above have Tablet stuff integrated, and it's one of the major drawbacks to 7.

The solution is here: [link]

This a tool that is simple to use. It appears to be a .NET program that fixes registry settings. Follow the simple instructions and log out and log in to your computer (or reboot, whatever's more convenient but log out/log in is faster for me).

It worked wonders for me and acts like it did back in the XP days.
Have you tried completely uninstalling the driver and re-installing it? I had the same problem a couple weeks ago and was struggling for hours until I did that
I fixed it. Even though Wacom told me it was defective.

What seems to work, is unplugging and plugging it back in till' it works.
the first time took 100 times. But the second it only took 10. then 3. so. IDK.

I tried uninstalling and everything too.
that sounds like a wiring issue.

Can you give this a try?
take the tablet and stretch out the cord and give it a try see if it works, I've had some devices mice, video game controllers and i believe a link cable for a gameboy have issues with a freyed wire.

I actually bought a really shitty gamecube controller once, and NEW!, i had to stretch it out and hold it at a certain angle for it to work, I was pissed.
Try to visit the website company of the tablet, and try to find an update for the tablet driver. It may be work. ^^
I've already tried.

This company is very great at not being helpful at all.
Ah i see. Have you try to put your tablet on a different USB entry?
I've tried everything. It's defective.
So it's probably your tablet may be dead. :(