Laptop+Graphic Tablet vs Tablet Pc for drawing?

My laptop has broken recently. The mainboard were broken and I've decided that it's better off to buy a new one. It's really unfortunate since I was actually looking for a graphic tablet for my laptop so I could draw in it.

Now that I decided to buy a new one, I am confused. I have two choices. A) Buy new laptop with low spec and then upgrade it with my old laptop components (ram & hard drive) and then buy a graphic tablet, or B) Buy new tablet PC (I don't know if internal hard drive could be replaced with the one from old laptop.)

Before you ask:
-I need portability. Not because I'm busy or something, but I don't have a fixed place to live now and my room for now is too small for something big like PC)

-I take a good care of my laptop but I use it intensively (almost 24/7), mostly for internet, watching movies, and games. (FYI: my old laptop last for almost 3 years). I rarely use it in travel though, so battery life is not really important for me.

-I prefer physical keyboard to virtual one. But I do like to use stylus.

-I prefer Ubuntu.

-I need usb and audio port.

For you who have read until this point, thank you very much. For you who have something to share, thank you even more. :) You could recommend me any product you think good for me
Comments8
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you intend to draw, then get a laptop and a separate tablet. Tablet PCs aren't meant for drawing. The touch and the respective stylus are integrated just for the simple sake of being more comfortable for everyday use, like with all touch-screen phones and pocket PCs - but you don't draw on them, right, just enjoy scrolling with your finger instead of pressing a button.
Don't get a tablet PC if you intend to draw. The digitisers suck. The drivers for Linux are especially bad so if you're planning on using Ubuntu you should definitely get a laptop and a drawing tablet.

I'm running an HP touchsmart tx2 with ubuntu right now. Total nightmare.
Thanks for your reply.
If I may know, what is your problem with tablet pc? Is it at least decent enough for writing?
I'm sorry I didn't say this before, but I'm working on my thesis about handwriting recognition right now, that's why I need the graphic tablet. Because writing numerous samples in paper and later scanning it is time waster. But it would be wonderful if I could draw in it too, because I like to draw.
HP Touchsmart look decent enough. My only complaint is that it's too high-end. I expected the one with low ram and hard drive size.
Oh and I prefer Ubuntu but I could accept Windows. I could run it side-by-side.
It's iffy for writing. The cursor jumps a lot and no amount of calibration fixes it. Also, the middle of my screen doesn't recognize any pen input. They may have fixed that issue, mine is two years old.

Anyway, all of the writing looks like I have Parkinson's while drunk riding a horse. As you can see they're also fucking expensive. You could get a good laptop with a good drawing tablet for less than the meh tablet PC
It depends on the tablet computer your buy. If you were to buy one of those £1000+ machines from Asus or Motion Computing then yes, but it wouldn't be good for much else's they often run ULV (ultra-low voltage) processors and are slower than full sized notebook processors. A computer with a separate tablet will be clunkier to carry around but will open the doors for higher performance applications to run more efficiently.

If drawing/sketching/painting is the most demanding task you undertake on a computer system then getting a tablet/slate computer with a stylus will be the best option I think. Ubuntu is worthless in all respects on tablet machines, you would be stuck with Microsoft Windows 7, most likely the Home Premium version. You may get Business on machines from Motion Computing.

I recommend the ep121 from Asus. [link]
Wacom digitiser, touch finger input and a bluetooth keyboard. Core i5 processor as well.
Asus ep121 is just too luxurious for me. Really.
I expected the one with low-end spec. I dont need too much hard drive space (my broken laptop has 160GB functional hdd and I have an external one with 320GB space) and ram. I need a good processor though. And good vga. And I'll end up using mouse so I dont think touch feature is necessary.
well good luck with that because the ep121 is the cheapest tablet computer with a wacom digitiser on the market. :lol: