how to recover corrupt files from pen drive?

Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ive never been able to retrieve corrupted files from a usb, but I have fixed a corrupted usb using Gparted in Linux. My usb was unreadable, so I reformatted it in Gparted, which deletes everything on the drive, but at least the drive was usable again.
www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoR… <- Give this fantastic piece of free software a whirl.

I had a LibreOffice word document get completely borked when my laptop shut down in the middle of saving the file (said there was at least half an hour of battery life left, but it was full of lies), and PhotoRec recovered every single instance of the file ever. The forum post where I originally learned about this software said that if a file has so much as breathed on your HDD/flashdrive/memory card/etc., it will find it, and that person was not kidding. Along with the corrupted file I needed, it also recovered files I'd intentionally deleted over two years ago.
First thing I would do is make a copy of the file as a backup so you have a copy to try recovery on and an original copy of the corrupted file. Just in case you fuck it up worse trying to fix it :p
Like, corrupted how? If your actual files are jacked up there's not much you can do about it.   
It's coming up 'file unreadable, syntax error, file maybe corrupt or unreadable' it's a Microsoft 2010 word doc 20Kbytes.
Are you trying to open it with a different program or version than you made it in?
Nope same work station and user account. no software changes have been made to the workstation either