I want to make some mini figs?

So I have no idea where to start with this project so I'm just throwing this out here: I want to start making mini figurines of my characters. For now it's just for myself, more of a hobby. I was wondering what the best way to do this would be? 

I know one option would be to mold them myself by hand. Not sure how they'd turn out but that sounds like fun. If anyone has any kind of suggestions as far as fairly sturdy materials and where to get them, I'd be grateful. 

Another option I'm thinking of might be 3D printing? But I heard you need to make 3D computer models in order to do that? I've stuck a toe in the pond of 3D modeling. I'm fairly savvy with it, just not very fond of doing it so I'd like to avoid it if I can. Is there anyway to get things 3D printed using just ortho drawings maybe? I know it'd depend on what's available in my area, but some general knowledge on the subject would be useful.

I'm looking to make maybe 1 or 2 inch figurines, nothing special or too detailed. More like tokens, maybe. Any suggestions or even just links to general information would be useful, thanks! 
Comments5
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You could use modelling clay to make your figurines. You'd need some practice with it but it's fairly easy and there are kinds that dry with air.
That sounds like the easiest option! I even have some lying around already, it's just a matter of building up any skill with it! Thanks! 
To 3d print you'll need to model them or pay someone to model them. There is some software that can turn photos into 3d models, but I doubt that would work well for drawings.... you should try it though! Might be interesting.

To mold them you'd need to sculpt them, make a mold, and then pour the resin you want to use. The best suggesting is to buy a mold-making kit to learn what to do.
I was afraid of that. I detest 3D modeling with a passion. It wasn't hard just aggravating, but I can see where that'd be the most efficient rout for toy making. 

I'll consider that second option! Thank you :D