Have you ever had to explain something nerdy to someone?

i really love the generation gap especially when people are talking about things that they don't know. like in vain yelling at pawn stars when they don't know something about video games. lately i had to explain to someone on the street today who the "anonymous" were. has there been times where you had to explain something nerdy or geeky to someone that didn't know? 
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Difference between dragons (4 legs & 2 wings) and wyverns (2 legs, 2 wings). I've also tried to ELI5 gamergate to my sister (censorship and media corruption and some people trying to make it about them and all). Nothing higher up the chain, though — (Ras) Pi, IRC stuff, and how elaborate my wireless network setup is in my dorm. EDIT 2: Explaining D&D to parents. It fucking happened.

EDIT: also I've shown my sister how to get files off her phone via portable hotspot and FTP server, because her particular Android vendor (Sony) is apparently a bunch of sticks that won't allow you to access your phone storage from computer via USB if you don't root it. Nothing too geeky though.

That's mostly because there's two kinds of people around me: people who are already in the same kind of stuff I am and people who don't give a fuck in the first place, so explaining geeky stuff is not required.

Oh and I've scrolled down the page. Sorry, basic PC upkeep, how to install something and how to properly use Google are not nerdy at all. Seriously, how hard is to:
$ sudo apt-get install <program>
$ sudo pacman -S <program>
$ ./configure; make; sudo make install
* next>I agree>next>untick all boxes >next> untick all boxes > next >next > finish
* 1. open appstore, search for program and click 'install'
There is one time I used StarTrek races to explain the races in The Hobbit
Humans= humans (not going to elaborate)
Dwarfs = Klingons (all about Honor and dieing while being a bad-ass)
Elves = Vulcans (full of themselves because they live a long time and consider themselves the most intelligent)
Hobbits = The Ferengi (all bout getting rich, and they make great thieves because they're sneaky)
Orcs [Mainly the Uruk Hai] = The Borg (Synthetically created to overrun someone else's territory without individual gain)
... if you're explaining races in Middle Earth with races of anything else fictional, then you're basically doing it wrong.

Oh, and — you got hobbits wrong. They eat, they sleep and they party, and keep to themselves (as in: not concerned with anything beyond their locale) and hate adventures with passion. Not much about getting rich — getting rich is far down the line and gifting is a custom, though sticky fingers are common (Sackville-Baggins, especially Lobelia).
A friend of my mum's had four Android tablets (her, husband, and kids) and she wanted all of them 'hacked' in some way or another so that they'd run apps from the SD card instead of the device storage. It was simple enough, but when I left her with instructions I had to write them in plain English, and then downgrade it again to 'Mum's Friend English'.
Frequently. Often about Folklore or historical fact. Sometimes I just can't be bothered even trying, though. 
Yes :ohnoes: mostly computer stuff, how to install something, how to clean your pc, make it save, find things on the internet, what to do when something does not work anymore...but it's okay, at least then, all my nerdy knowledge has some purpose! :la:
No I'm the one who does the explaining.
Every single day. It's my job to explain, at least in part, how a certain system works and why it would be beneficial to do X and Y.

Outside of work, last weekend I had to explain to my dad how it's very unlikely he will get a botnet just by browsing safe websites with an updated browser.

"Laura, I heard you can get a virus that can send spam and bring down other peoples computers by just going to MSN."

"Uh, no..."
I'm always having to explain about computers and newer video games to my mom -- which is ironic, because she was the one who got me into gaming as a child.
Everytime I have to explain what I'm talking about whilst rambling tends to have nerdy background...
Yuh, there has. Ahem~
This one time (no actually a lot of times) I came to work late and my Supervisor finally came up to me and asked
Supervisor:"Hey.....Why are you always late?"
So I then proceeded to tell her about all the events that led up to me being late to work
Me: "Well, you see ma'am......
I was farming in this game last nite, and before I knew it, it had already became 2am! But I couldn't just stop in the middle of my party, I'm their awesome bard! So we continued to farm for really rare items, I even left that night with a hero weapon!!!"
Supervisor: "........"
Me: " Sooooo, then afterwards one of my friends came online and then we started play **** cus ya know, diff timezones..and then we were grinding and farming, and before I knew it...it was 8am....So I figured I'd just continue to play till work...."
Ever since that day, no one at work ever asked me why I was either late or tired.....
you should be fired
:thumbsup:
I agree with this statement.

I mean, damn. Sometimes I sit for hours on end in front of my console and play to my heart's content not realising it's now 7 in the morning, and I have to get ready in half an hour. But jeeeeeeez

Even at work, I laze :iconlazecatplz: I listen to music, play LCS on teal (that's my PSP) and make character doodles while a meeting is going on across from me, knowing damn well people are going back and forth from that room to get stuff from the office I'm in. :stare: But, hell. I do my work. All they do is just ask me if the work has been completed and they let me get back to whatever I was doing...

Ehhh
Should've could've would've. I got the job done
Someone asked me how was PS4 more powerful than the Xbox One and if the latest Playstation console really was 42x more powerful than the PS2.
Tell me about Anonymous.