I kinda need help with physics, engineering and stuff... >_<

Hello there! :)

I'm new to the discussion forum. I searched any other da forums but it seems that this forum is the most appropriate. But please let me know if this topic does not belongs here. And forgive me for the weird/wrong/ugly english, since it's not my native language. >_<

I uh... kinda need some help from someone who knows about a little bit of physics and/or engineering. 
I wanted to design/concept a hover-bike. Which I wanted to use the design/concept for my world concepting (kinda...) works. I know that this is kinda unnecessary since it's somekind of a sci-fi stuff... So anything could happen. But I just want to know that my design is  responsibly enough to be used/made in that world-concept. At least it has a slight of plausible predictions. 

Here's the concept I've been working on. It's kinda retarded, So please don't laugh.. >_<
Hoverbike 02 by aiyeahhs
I kinda wanted to make it small... and compact like Isshiki Akane's hoverbike from Vividred Operation. The other alternatives for the engines are to use Jet for kinda VTOL movement. But having a big jet is kinda noisy for a small vehicle like this. And the other one is using a magnet like the hover-board that Hendo invented. But for a commuting vehicle... uhm... I'm gonna have to make the road with metals. It's just doesn't meet with the world concept I'm making. 

So I'm hoping if any of you could kindly give me a feedback to this bike design. I'd be glad to hear any feedback or suggestions. I know I should've consulted this to engineers or physicist. But I don't have a strong heart to bear insults... >_< It even took me almost 9 years to bring this into a discussion. So maybe I can hear first from the eye of the artist/enthusiast who might know a little bit about engineering or physics stuff. 

Thank you very much for your attention and time by reading this. I really appreciate any kind help that you can give. :)
Comments27
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm not sure how this design will go, but I think you might need air tunnels for downforce at higher speeds. Understanding the a bit of the engineering of the German supercar Gumpert Apollo might help you there www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt4j_G…
Woah, this one really interesting! :D
Thank you soooo much for sharing. :heart:
Well there's a lot of gaps in the info I'd like to know (dw-I like this ambitious project you're undertaking).

Questions:

1. Have you drawn up a X/Y plane of vector forces which denote the bike's position in a neutral position? (i.e just hovering on one spot or something)

2. What's the weight distribution like with and without the passenger?

3. Do you plan to use a 3D printer for materials?

4. The Hendo hoverboard would only work on specific surface. I imagine you're trying to build something practical for today's world? So one of the main challenges is a powerful engine and fuel. There are numerous options you can explore (contrary to what the so called 'experts' claim that renewable to to weak/impractical) like laptop batteries (used in Tesla's first prototype), redox flow cell system (like QUANT's e-Sportlimousine www.nanoflowcell.com/en, magnetic gears, etc etc. Which set up do you think will work out for this?

5. What kind of inertia will be made by the propeller?

(if there is anything here misunderstood, don't be afraid to ask)
Wow! :omfg: 
Actually, I never thought deeply of how scientifically this would go. Looks like there are sooooo much for me to study more. >_<
And all of the point that you asked me... well... Hurr durr... I can't answer all of them :XD:

It's hard for me to build something like this since I am a very high demanding artist but too lazy to read or study... :XD:
I know... I should change myself if I want to achieve something this high. But yeah... laziness always get in the way.
And I veeery thankful for someone like you to share their knowledge about this. I don't know what to say. 
Thank you veery much for your time thinking about this and even pointing out the flaws of the design. 

I will study first things that you mentioned. And probably will come back with more sketches. 
I just hope that I won't bother you in anyways. Or get you bored... >_<

Once again thank you very much for your kind feedback and knowledge sharing.  :heart:
No worries. And stuff like this is just the tip of the iceberg haha.
Yeah... haha... I'm aware of that. Let's see how much I can bear this one :D
Hmm, so basically it sucks air from both horizontal sides and generate lift from it?

Since the bike is so slim, maybe you could make somekind of nozzle, to make it believable, but not necessarily 100% accurate IRL.

Take... um... VTOL aircraft for example, F-35 and Harrier are some of the most popular VTOL capable aircraft. Their Thrust vectoring nozzle are key to the vertical lift and stability.

Your current design looks cool but if air is the propelling stuff here, i wouldn't believe it. Unless you include some kind of gravity mitigating device to it. The nozzle under the bike kinda looks unstable, my prediction, it would spin wildly once you turn it on, or sort.

Maybe Dyson fan could give you some more inspiration?

Just some of my thoughts..

Anyways, cool stuff. :)
Wow man! Thank you very much for the feedback! :)
I really like detailed and honest feedbacks. I really appreciate this. :D

Yeah, I imagine the stability would pretty much screwed with only this design. I should work more on that. :)
I will work more on that reference you mentioned once I have free time. 

Once again thank you very much. for your kind feedback. 
I hope you'll never get bored with further design/development on this hover-bike. :)
No problem, any development that involves levitating mechanical stuff are interesting i suppose. Actually, anything mechanical is interesting to me. :)

Good luck with the development.
once again, thank you very much. :D
I hope you won't mind if I send you some more scraps in the future >_<
Glad to help. :)
Huh.  Kind of a cool concept.  I happen to have a bit of experience with engineering, since it's what I do when I'm not creating art. :)

What you need are ducts.  The air could come in from the side like you have it, but you need to channel that air to the propeller and then have the thrust channeled down below. Of course this wouldn't provide any stability control, or steering, or forward or reverse thrust.  You'd need some extra forces for that. That could potentially be solved with some outriggers equipped with fans or some sort of rocket.  

I'd also think that anyone riding this would want to have thigh length boots or chaps at the least. :)
Hello, :)

Ah yes. Ducts. I will research and study more for the ducts to apply in this kind of concept. Please let me know if you have any references, if you don't mind :)
And yeah, I gotta work more on the stability control and steering system. It seems a lot of work there. haha...
And ergonomics. Ugh... this one really goes unnoticed. >_< I always thought about it in a 2D(flat views) I should work more about this.

And thank you very much for your kind feedback. :D It really helps me a lot :la:
I will modify and work on this a little bit more. :)
It's not totally implausible because all you have here is a skirt-less hovercraft but I'd hate to get my legs in there :fear:

Also, you want your output to be off to the side from the main blades like this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifu…
why not? it's cool breeze flowing through there... :XD: Lol jk. 
Ah yeah, this is something that I should study deeper. 

Thank you very much for your kind feedback and reference. :)
I really appreciate that :D
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monorail… and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev - just a thought: why use jets when you can use magnetic levitation (e.g. Maglev), since it works over a metal roadway and the technology is already in use, at least for train-type vehicles. :)
Hello, Thank you for your kind feedback. I really appreciate that :)
I thought about this magnet system. But it seems like adding rails to the world concept might not be appropriate since it has kinda post apocalyptic settings. 
It's a pretty interesting idea though. Maybe I can use it for another vehicle. 
I don't understand well how it works. If you want it to fly, it doesn't work.
It seems like it's able to jump, but it can't.
The air can't move a bike like that, even though you can use air for something (it's better to use others gas with a higher pressure capacity).

It doesn't seem to have a good balance even though you could make a balance system that uses the engine somehow.
Thank you very much for your feedback, I really appreciate that. :)
Yeah, I was kinda dwelling in doubts about this design. This is why I ask for some feedback. 
Hmm... yeah... I have to study more about air pressure and stuff. And adding a good balance to the design.  

And about balance system that uses the engine... 
Please let me know if you have any further references for this. If you don't mind... >_<
Thanks a lot before. :)
Well, you can use the circle engine (that wheel xD I don't know how to call it) to move much times the "leg" and so you get movement and balance. But the movement must be a jump (like a kangaroo).

I don't know how to make an engine that use air. Maybe you can make an engine that use air, a bit of a high pressure capacity gas and a battery. Use the different pressure of two different areas would be a nice idea, but too much weight.

Use a gears system that use two legs at the beginning and then only one, could solve some problems. But the speed can't be high at all

I'm not an engineer, I'm just going to study mechanical engineering (so this stuff too). The design is nice, but to make it work is a challenge
What about Donut?? :XD:
I think you misunderstood how the leg works. I place it there for the landing gear. Because the vehicle would hover to move. 

I think the engine is more like a centrifugal fan. But maybe I could modify it with somekind of "x factor". Well that's the magic of the science-fiction concept. :p And yeah, hi-pressured gas is a really good idea. I should work and study more on that one. As for more speed. maybe I can put some minijets (is silenced jets are possible? I heard MIT is working on that for Boeing)
So the vehicle can accelerate. 

Thank you very much for your feedback and help. I don't have any Idea if I had not talk to you about this. :)
I hope you're become a top-notch engineer someday. :)
Well, if anything i#d flip the "propeller/tube" on the side. But from what i know, it'd work.
Hey thanks for the feedback! :D 

Yeah, that's what's been proven by MA Hover-bike.
But somehow I kinda curious of what alternatives can I get. And how small this vehicle can be. :)