Just a couple questions about a drawing tablet

Hi, I'm getting a Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch Medium tablet (jeez that's a mouthful XD). I currently use FireAlpaca (and GIMP sometimes) for drawing. I know the tablet comes with Sketchbook and Artrage Studio, but what if I wan't to use FireAlpaca with the tablet? Do I have to configure something in the programs to acknowledge the tablet, or will it work when I just plug it in? I'm more used to FireAlpaca and it's just more convenient. If it doesn't, how is Sketchbook or Artrage?

Here, I'll give it to you in a nutshell:

Will my tablet work with GIMP or Firealpaca? (I'd like to have pressure sensitivity enabled for it!)

Are Sketchbook or Artrage good? Or are they just little "doodling" softwares?

I'd like to hear answers from personal experience please, if you can. Thank you in advance!
Comments10
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
As long as the program supports a tablet there's nothing special you'll need to do on your end. I don't know much about Artrage, but I've got Sketchbook Express myself and it is an AMAZING piece of software, especially with a touch enabled tablet. I'd also suggest checking out Krita as another great free option.
I have the same tablet and all I use GIMP, so yeah gimp will work. Mine also came with a bunch of programs including photoshop elements but it was just SOOOOOO slow, so I went back to gimp which I found worked great with my tablet. So I would recommend GIMP. 
hey psst.. new software 4U  firealpaca.com/en
It'll work. 

And yes sketchbook is good. Sketchbook pro is better but you can do a lot with either. 
Thank you! I'm not too sure about PS Elements (which is another program that comes with it) so I like what sketchbook sounds like :) I might use both FireAlpaca and Sketchbook like you said.
Make sure the driver is installed, and you should be good to go.

Sometimes you do need to turn on pressure sensitivity in the program, though. It looks like you have to do that with firealpaca, and at least in older versions of Gimp you did, too. I'm not going to other looking the others up, you can do that yourself. 

Just look for instructions online for how to turn on pressure sensitivity in your program. 
It'll work. Just make sure you install the drivers before you plug the tablet in.
Pretty much any competent drawing app is designed for tablet pen pressure. You need to install the tablet driver (get it from their website), and then that's pretty much all you do.
Thank you for the advice :) I checked online and nothing said anything about downloading their driver online, so thank you!