.org versus .net - Which one fits better?

Hello,

I'm gonna start a website for my webcomic, which will be distributed for free. Its name is SonicQuest (I think I'll keep the CamelCase spelling), and since sonicquest.com is already taken, I had to choose between a sonic-quest.com address, or one with .co, .net, .org, .info or .biz. I don't like the hyphen in the address, and .co would make think people that it's a Columbian site, .info is for information and .biz is for businesses. So it's .net and .org left. Which fits better and why?

Thanks.

Comments30
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you've narrowed it down to .net and .org, then go with .net. The .org TLD is typically associated with organizations and non-profits.

What I'd do, though, is change the name of the web comic slightly. SonicsQuest.com, for example, is free and open to register.

It's up to you. If your web comic proves popular people will find it as long as the name is logical. Look at Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. They have a hyphen, but it doesn't impact their traffic much.
With the title, no.
In fact, neither .net or .org really fit, because .net stands for ISP and .org is for organisations, and when I started this thread I thought people would choose .org as it's the one that fits better due to the nature of the project, but the truth is that it fits better with open-source projects... SSNTails' website (ssntails.org) Sonic Robo Blast 2 (srb2.org) aren't organisations either.
If you're not willing to change the name then you are looking at only a couple of options.

1. Register a .net, .org, or other available TLD.
2. Buy out the .com from the current owner.

There are no strict rules on domain names except for some country TLDs. You can have a .org or a .net for whatever you want. The domain name's importance is modest at best. What really matters is your content.
www.sonicquest.com — appearly, it has something to do with SearchEngines, though it leads to a SedoPage. When one tries to register it it appears as already taken; so did sonicquest.org the first time I looked for it, it also appeared as already taken, but the next time I checked again and it appeared as available for its register.
Neither is .net, but I'll take it as a vote for it.
4 votes for .net

0 votes for .org.
I've seen at least one webcomic use net.
Or, buy out the current sonicquest.com
SonicQuest.com is owned by a big company and I doubt they'd give their domain away.
.com you're not offering a network or an organization pimping your comic is pretty definitively commercial suck it up and use the appropriate one. Maybe call it sonicquestcomic.com since you don't like the dash and it's more informative.
My comic won't be commercial. It'll use a CC License - and at least sonicquest.org doesn't sound like penisland.net.
That you don't make money or w/e doesn't really have a bearing on the commercial-ness in this context.
Well, I said either .net or .org.
Third votes for .net. Zero for .org. One for an alternative .com.
Wait one for com? You didn't mention com so i didn't mention it either but if the website name is available in .com you should definitely opt for that one instead.
sonicquest.com — taken, see?
I'll ignore the dot-com choice though.
Two votes for dot-net. O Buddha, why do people hate dot-org?
Because your webcomic isn't an organization.
Hey, are first.last.name registration still alive?