Details

Closed to new replies
February 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

IS it possible to get RAR passwords?

:iconscorpafied:
cut a long story short i was goig through some old files and i came across a winrar file i need. but i cant for the life of me figure out what i set the password as.

and so i can you guys probably a dumb question is it possible to bypass that prompt? or anything reliable i can downlaod without being overwhelmed with viruses that will take off the password?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvargson:
Vargson Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
How long is the password approximately? How much CPU time / computer power do you have at hand?
password length i have no idea. i honestly cant remember what i set it as.

it could of been a file name, a website name or even a word of some kind. i just dont remember.

i ahve at least 3-4 hours at a time to use the computer/cpu as im usually out at work. and as for power i dont know its an older laptop id have to look to give an accurate answer but i know its an intel dual core, it wouldn't be any better then 2.2 ghz.
:iconvargson:
Vargson Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I am sorry, but it is very unlikely that you will be able to crack that password.
If the password is up to 4 characters, it should be done one your PC in a few days of permanent brute force, or faster if it is a word and a dictionary attack is able to find it.
For bigger passwords, you will need a lot more time and CPU power, or else it will take years.
If the password is not a word and bigger then 16 characters, it is impossible to brute force, except you have a few thousand years and a supercomputer.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link] might work, if the password is short enough

In reality though, it's probably infeasible to brute force anything too long that isn't in the dictionary.
downlaoding it now. fingers crossed.
Add a Comment: