January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

PC restarts - Looking for IT help D:

:iconshakuchan1995:
ShakuChan1995 Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if somebody had the same problem as me, or at least know what causes this. Last christmas I got new PC(Intel i3 3,3 Ghz CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GTX /I think...XD Could be GeForce too, forgot exact name/ graphics card)
It worked great for a while, but in a game, called Nostale, I experienced it restars. It restarts by itself, right in time, no break or anything, and I don't need to turn it on again. I must add, it doesn't restart anywhere, or right after getting in game, but it restarts in Instant Combat, Frozen Crown, Act5.2 raids(except valakus one, I made vala w/o restart lol) It doesn't restart right after I get in these maps, 5-10 minutes can pass in raids or ic, 1-2, maybe 3 hours in FC.

My friend said it's graphic card problem and it must be changed. We brought it back to the shop where they reinstalled and after it, they played on it. I'm sure it's a game which uses graphic card more than Nostale. (Mean games like Diablo 3, Assassin's Creed and etc here, with high quality, detailed graphic)

After we got it home, I tried to play again, and guess what? PC restarted in raid!
We brought it back to shop 2 weeks ago(again), today my mom called them, and they say it was tested multiple times, ran all night long, being played on but not a single problem is found.

I think it's freaking strange! What else could cause this problem?
I use 1280x800 resolution, but everything supports it what's needed. >.>
I use Windows 7 Home Premium(64-Bit), they put it on the PC, also AVG free Viruskiller, but I don't think it's matter of viruskiller. Before I had Avast, and it did the same.

Thank you whoever helps D:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

ShakuChan1995 Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you all for help :D

They reinstalled it, and now it works.:D
:icondtrinidad:
DTrinidad Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Have you tried other games on your PC? Did they also cause your PC to restart? The last time I encountered strange issues with a PC game was Battlefield Vietnam. I remember times when the game crashed, blue screened, and returned to windows. I remember visiting the IGN forums filled with users complaining about how such a fun game kept on crashing.
ShakuChan1995 Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I haven't tried other games on it, but in the shop, they tried, played for a hour or more, I don't know exactly, and it was running perfectly, it didn't restart, crash or anything.

I went on game forum too, but it looks like it works for others,and I also have no problem with it on my old PC. (This PC is whole another story too, we bought it 6 years ago and PC's have changed much since then)
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
The demonstration in the store doesn't necessarily mean anything. How much a particular game stresses a graphics subsystem depends on a lot of things, such as how it's coded, what settings you've applied, and so on.
I see, I see, but Nostale doesn't require a very good computer, that's why I think it.

Recommended system requirements:
OP system: Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7
CPU: Pentium 3 800 Mhz
RAM: 513MB
Hard drive: 4 GB
Graphics card: GeForce 2 MX

But...before I log into game, there are options to choose, and about one, I'm not quite sure.
Environment can be DirectX or OpenGL, I've always had DirectX chosen, what's OpenGL? Could it help?
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
OpenGL is an open standard cross-platform API for graphics; DirectX is the Windows-only equivalent.

And it depends a lot on how the game is coded. The game I play that strains my own graphics hardware most (you can tell by watching the GPU temperatures) is an MMO that was written in 2003. It might be making poor use of the card's features, for instance.

Trying the other API might be worth a try. At the very least, it can't hurt.
Got it back from service. I tried it, but now both works for me.:D Thank you.:)
:iconstipend:
stipend Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013   General Artist
are the video card drivers up to date? if it's oem you'll need drivers from the pc manufacturer, otherwise check nvidia's website :)
How often do they update? Are they supposed to remind me?

If you need to update them manually, I haven't done it, but only 1 day passed from installing(in IT shop) anyway.
:iconstipend:
stipend Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013   General Artist
the it shop may have just used default microsoft drivers for the nvidia card... which would be your problem.
i would allow nvidia to detect your video card and download drivers. go to nvidia.com and click support>downloadDrivers>option2.
once you have nvidia's drivers installed they will automatically detect future updates and prompt you to update. :)
:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
My work computer started doing that after I installed a new graphics card that kept overheating. Then again, Windows' typical response to serious problems is "OMG RESTART RESTART NOW DOITDOITDOIT" so it could be anything.
My first guess was graphics card too, but they said they have tested hardware part, and nothing. >.>
:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
Who is they?
ShakuChan1995 Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Shop, but it's solved now. :D
:iconwolftacular:
Wolftacular Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
If it always restarts at a similar spot, it's probably a fault with the game, though it's VERY strange that a game would cause a complete restart. Are you getting any blue screens with white words? Or does the computer simply restart?

Does it take a while to start restarting? Like, does it close all programs first and then restart? Or do you suddenly, from one instant to the other, see a black screen and then the windows logo?

I'm inclined to believe it's an overheating problem. The computer and hardware might be okay but if it's a laptop and you usually place it on your lap or on your bed, it is bound to overheat. And if it's a desktop, make sure it has plenty of room to breathe.
It's a computer. I don't have it myself yet, still in service, but my old computer has like 20 cm to breathe from wall, but I think my new one got a bit less. My old PC is like 6 years old, so I believe it doesn't need to cold as a new one with high quality items inside.

It restarts suddenly, black screen, then Windows logo.

Would it help if I removed the "engine house" from side?
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
A good portion of the time, mysterious errors are from power supply problems. That's not usually a consideration with a newer machine, but if the PSU is undersized for the equipment then I could see this happening. A lot of newer graphics cards have relatively high power requirements, so it's precisely during heavy graphics use that I'd expect you'd see a problem.

Do you know what kind/wattage the PSU is?
:iconmichelba:
Michelba Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Is your computer hot? If it is, you have an overheating problem. I've used a special vent constructed for laptops below mine, but the best you can get is a vent on a pole that you can adjust to blow right on your computer. It works for me. My brother told me that I loaded faster than him on Path of Exile, so it made it obvious that heating a computer even if it's a little warm will make your computer slower.
Thank you, but it can't be overheating. They've tested it in shop and excluded hardware problem already.
:iconmichelba:
Michelba Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I went to repair my computer and all they did was clean it. And I had to pay for it even though I had insurance for 2 years. Then it got warm again. You can't trust everything they say. They are a business after all.

The best thing that worked for me that my girlfriend tried out was to put a vent on a pole and blow it on the computer.

What I'm trying to say is if they can't find what's wrong after several retries then they surely don't know what they are doing. It might be your computer overheating. Move your hand to the HDD and feel it, if it's warm or hot, it's not meant to live for that long. So the best thing is: new vent.

If it's not warm or hot, then you really need to look into your motherboard.
Okie, I will try it. :)
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Professional Artist
It's a bug in the game itself. So either find a patch for the game or stop playing that specific game.

These things happen :shrug:
That's not nice to know, but thank you. I will contact support of game.
:iconshadee:
shadee Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Try setting all of the video settings in the affected games to low and see if it still happens.
Thank you. :)
I hope it won't. XD
:iconshadee:
shadee Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I've had weirdness with certain games as well. And It doesn't always matter how recent and demanding the game is, sometimes an older game with crappy shaders for example which disagrees with your card can cause problems while newer games will run just fine. If the problem areas run fine with everything set on low then you'll know it's a graphics problem and you can just slowly set each slider/setting up higher one at a time until you find the one that causes it and then you can just leave that one off or on low.

Could be a game bug related to other hardware incompatibility too so contacting the publisher's support page is always an option but video driver issues would definitely be my first guess.
Oh! Thank you, I will try it all. :)
Also they've already reinstalled it in shop. It's the 3rd time being reinstalled, first one was surely wrong, idk about second, but hope it was wrong and third will finally work. :)
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
...it's not just updating and restarting over and over is it? A new computer running windows 7 is bound to update for a few weeks.
I don't know, because it writes nothing about it, but I don't know if it's supposed to, especially in a full screen game. Actually I assume they didn't put internet in it in shop, but I will ask.

Thank you. :)
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
...um....what?
I thought for updates, it would say something before on the screen, like installing updates starts in 5 seconds or something. It doesn't say anything, but I'm in a full screen game anyway.

In the shop, if there was no internet connection, maybe it didn't keep downloading the updates.
if there's not connection it won't update
Add a Comment: