January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

PC restarts - Looking for IT help D:

:iconshakuchan1995:
ShakuChan1995 Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if somebody had the same problem as me, or at least know what causes this. Last christmas I got new PC(Intel i3 3,3 Ghz CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GTX /I think...XD Could be GeForce too, forgot exact name/ graphics card)
It worked great for a while, but in a game, called Nostale, I experienced it restars. It restarts by itself, right in time, no break or anything, and I don't need to turn it on again. I must add, it doesn't restart anywhere, or right after getting in game, but it restarts in Instant Combat, Frozen Crown, Act5.2 raids(except valakus one, I made vala w/o restart lol) It doesn't restart right after I get in these maps, 5-10 minutes can pass in raids or ic, 1-2, maybe 3 hours in FC.

My friend said it's graphic card problem and it must be changed. We brought it back to the shop where they reinstalled and after it, they played on it. I'm sure it's a game which uses graphic card more than Nostale. (Mean games like Diablo 3, Assassin's Creed and etc here, with high quality, detailed graphic)

After we got it home, I tried to play again, and guess what? PC restarted in raid!
We brought it back to shop 2 weeks ago(again), today my mom called them, and they say it was tested multiple times, ran all night long, being played on but not a single problem is found.

I think it's freaking strange! What else could cause this problem?
I use 1280x800 resolution, but everything supports it what's needed. >.>
I use Windows 7 Home Premium(64-Bit), they put it on the PC, also AVG free Viruskiller, but I don't think it's matter of viruskiller. Before I had Avast, and it did the same.

Thank you whoever helps D:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

ShakuChan1995 Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you all for help :D

They reinstalled it, and now it works.:D
:icondtrinidad:
DTrinidad Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Have you tried other games on your PC? Did they also cause your PC to restart? The last time I encountered strange issues with a PC game was Battlefield Vietnam. I remember times when the game crashed, blue screened, and returned to windows. I remember visiting the IGN forums filled with users complaining about how such a fun game kept on crashing.
ShakuChan1995 Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I haven't tried other games on it, but in the shop, they tried, played for a hour or more, I don't know exactly, and it was running perfectly, it didn't restart, crash or anything.

I went on game forum too, but it looks like it works for others,and I also have no problem with it on my old PC. (This PC is whole another story too, we bought it 6 years ago and PC's have changed much since then)
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
The demonstration in the store doesn't necessarily mean anything. How much a particular game stresses a graphics subsystem depends on a lot of things, such as how it's coded, what settings you've applied, and so on.
I see, I see, but Nostale doesn't require a very good computer, that's why I think it.

Recommended system requirements:
OP system: Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7
CPU: Pentium 3 800 Mhz
RAM: 513MB
Hard drive: 4 GB
Graphics card: GeForce 2 MX

But...before I log into game, there are options to choose, and about one, I'm not quite sure.
Environment can be DirectX or OpenGL, I've always had DirectX chosen, what's OpenGL? Could it help?
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
OpenGL is an open standard cross-platform API for graphics; DirectX is the Windows-only equivalent.

And it depends a lot on how the game is coded. The game I play that strains my own graphics hardware most (you can tell by watching the GPU temperatures) is an MMO that was written in 2003. It might be making poor use of the card's features, for instance.

Trying the other API might be worth a try. At the very least, it can't hurt.
Got it back from service. I tried it, but now both works for me.:D Thank you.:)
:iconstipend:
stipend Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013   General Artist
are the video card drivers up to date? if it's oem you'll need drivers from the pc manufacturer, otherwise check nvidia's website :)
ShakuChan1995 Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
How often do they update? Are they supposed to remind me?

If you need to update them manually, I haven't done it, but only 1 day passed from installing(in IT shop) anyway.
:iconstipend:
stipend Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013   General Artist
the it shop may have just used default microsoft drivers for the nvidia card... which would be your problem.
i would allow nvidia to detect your video card and download drivers. go to nvidia.com and click support>downloadDrivers>option2.
once you have nvidia's drivers installed they will automatically detect future updates and prompt you to update. :)
Add a Comment: