Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 22, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

The home button on my iPod is stuck... Anyone here a genius?

:icontheonewithatablet:
TheOneWithATablet Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I was using my year and a half old 4th Generation iPod touch the other night, and the Home button just randomly got stuck. It won't move AT ALL, and AssistiveTouch is REALLY annoying to me.
I'm afraid to open it up because I tend to screw things up very easily. Plus, I won't open up any more electronics after an accident I had with my PlayStation Portable (I fixed it, though.)
Does anyone know how to fix this problem WITHOUT spending money...?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontoic:
Toic Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Digital Artist
This just happened to me. Mines a year and a half old as well and 4th generation. I was looking on Google and that didn't really come up with a solution other than its been happening to a lot of 4th generation iPods.
I tried using some cleaner to help remove the dust/dirt but it only made things worse. Better for about 4 clicks then back to not working. If I find a solution other than taking it to Apple I'll be sure to tell you.
:icontextaphrenia:
textaphrenia Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
is it stuck pressing it or it won't press down???
TheOneWithATablet Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It just won't press down. How does one do this to their iPod!? X'D

Answer: I'm its owner.
:icontextaphrenia:
textaphrenia Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
well you can go into settings > general > accessibility >, then go to AssistiveTouch

that will make a box thinggy pop up on the side of ur screen and u can use this as ur home button
you can also move it around and junk
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Student General Artist
My brother screwed up my iPod by getting it wet on a sink like an idiot, THEN I put it in rice to dry it out, he had the chutzpah to take it out before the required time. It worked, but the backlight was broken, also the home button didn't work, and in March, it would stop syncing music and the WiFi didn't work. What I had to do was only go to music, as that's ALL I used it for. Does the reset button work? If it does, use it whenever ya wanna return home, atleast until your button is fixed.
TheOneWithATablet Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm using AssistiveTouch. It's not water damage. >n> At least I can still use it...

But I'll keep the rice thing in mind just in case!
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Artist
I've heard that a single drop of rubbing alcohol and repeatedly pressing the button will help to remove anything stuck under there. That said, that will void your warranty. That's probably your best bet without spending any money at all.

Unless you have AppleCare...in which case go to an Apple store. Actually, go to an Apple store either way and ask. Worst that happens is that they say no :shrug: sometimes they're strangely generous with fixing/replacing stuff that's out of warranty.
TheOneWithATablet Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I've tried the alcohol a few times, but it doesn't help. Should I keep trying or just wait until I can bring it to an Apple Store? I have another iPod here (Totally busted 2nd or 3rd gen with severe water damage, was a friend's) with the part I need still intact... Do you think they would put that part into my 4th generation?
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Artist
No, they won't do the repair for you. Also, the parts from the 2nd and 3rd gen won't fit in the 4th gen.

That said, the new buttons are really cheap. It might not cost much for you to get the ipod fixed. I know you didn't want to spend money but you're going to have to if you want to get it fixed. The alcohol thing was really your best and only bet on that front. I'm sorry :saddummy: I wouldn't keep trying it, it's probably not going to help
Add a Comment: