What are the best laptop Brands?

Hey I have been needing a new laptop for a while now and I need some advice on what the best brand to go with is?

I am looking for something with at least 6GB RAM and 500GB HDD

Please Help? it is much appericated
Comments130
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Check out the MSI GT60, or the Lenovo Y580.
I would suggest what I have, an Asus if you care about graphics, art making, or gaming. It's very good for visual stuff and processing big programs like photoshop, along with other things open, and games.
Look at Dell's website. Some of their laptops are on the pricey side but their builds are more than solid. I personally own an Acer but that was due to lack of funds more than anything.
I'd say Lenovo T Series too. Look out for the T430 or T530.
HP is the best brand according to my experience...

now i am using 4th of my laptops of HP...

its HP elitebook and its an awesome machine..
I'll have a gander at HP, thanks for the response
I had an HP Pavilion a few years ago and it was awesome, so stayed with HP when I needed a new one. Bought another Pavillion about a year ago (Pavilion dv6) and it's physically rubbish. It performs beautifully, don't get me wrong, but in the year I've had it one of the speakers has blown out, the fingerprint reader stopped working, the lid switch is wonky (when it's closed it doesn't realize that it's closed and thus constantly comes on and off unless I shut it down entirely), the plastic case around the edges has cracked in a few places, and a hotspot has burned into the bottom of the screen. I doubt I will buy another consumer line HP after this one :(

I've heard good things about their business sector with the Elitebooks, though. I would just be wary of their consumer line, as it seems to have gone downhill quite a bit in my experience.
oh right, that sounds really unfortunate :s and thanks for the feedback
Anything's better than a Mac.
yeah well except maybe a chromebook
Yup, Chromebook would be worse.
Lenovo definately. And if its out of your price range, look for coupons or sales, they ALWAYS have them. Also student discount (if you're a student)..
Though if you go with lenovo, go with the thinkpad series X, T or W only.
thanks for the feedback :)
I would say ASUS if you can afford it.

Dell can take one heck of a beating, but don't think you're getting very far with customer support when you need them.

Alienware looks beautiful from the outside, but ever since their merger with Dell, their quality has taken a downfall. If you can afford them, go with an ASUS instead.

Samsungs are decent but can either be reliable beasts that never break or can be an absolute P.O.S (I personally never liked their design).

Toshiba has had a bad name in the past but are definitely seeing quality improvements.

MSI is very low budget, they are great when they work, but have a rather high failure rate when put under stress.

HP (and Compaq) are very nice as far as their business models go, but have a nasty habit of getting hotter as they age.
I personally owned a HP 635, It was real nice and rarely got warm; but now it gets hot beyond reason, even though I replaced the fan, used artic silver to replace the thermal paste and a variety of other things to attempt to make it run cooler.

If you want any more information on any specific brand or model, I can definitely tell you more.
Suprisingly, overheating isn't a problem with mine HP (3 years +)... But fans are loud as fuck.
Heh, well you can try to take the fan assembly apart and oil the bearings or sleeves (depending on the model of the fan). That can bring the noise level down a bit as well as increase the life of the fan.
Heh, That's a pretty normal scenario right there. :)
HP's are bad with doing that, but I've had Toshiba and a few Dells that were even worse.
I even had to deal with a laptop that had rivets used to hold it together (can't remember it's brand though).
That's why my favourite technique for cleaning laptop fan is compressor. At 8 bar.
True, but you can't just spray oil into the fan :XD:
I use compressed air when I can, but I still prefer manually taking it apart, as that also allows me to check the hardware for any components that have failed or are starting to fail.
Thanks for the response, its really helpful. Have you ever used Acer?
Welcome, I always try to keep my information as unbiased as possible.

(As a little side note to start with, Acer and Gateway merged a little while back)
I haven't had too much experience with their desktop or laptop models personally but I have heard that they tend to lapse in the quality of the build as you get closer to the budget models.
Here is a link to a set of ratings for Acer [link]

However, Acer makes pretty decent LCD monitors, I have have been using their 20" model for 3 years now and so far no problems.
ah right ok, thanks for the feedback, extremely helpful