Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

What does Auto Correct say about the developers?

:iconannagiladi:
AnnaGiladi Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional General Artist
So my date, Jewish, just sent me a text about his anti-semitic iPhone auto correct. He has the standard Hebrew dictionary installed, and wanted to send his mom "אני בעבודון" which means "I'm jobbing". iPhone changed it into "אני יהודון" which means "I'm a kike".
I just checked my Slide-It and Perfect Keyboard for Android for similar faux pas by entering "nigger", "kike", "gook", "faggot", and other slurs of that sort in English and Hebrew, but nothing other than "negro" in Slide-It English was suggested, but I don't know how much of a slur that is as it's not my mother tongue.
So basically that means that whoever programmed Apple's Hebrew dictionaries is infusing them with their personal political views? Is that even legal, and is that a known thing? I mean, bad things have happened with auto correct, but mostly it was funny. This shit though, that doesn't even have any business being suggested as corrections, can get you into real trouble some places. So how the hell did an antisemitic slur become a correction to the legit word "job"? I mean it's kind of hilarious, but when you think about it, that thing didn't program itself. Someone was thinking that was the right thing to do.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well why are you using apple products anyway? Everyone knows it's a horrible criminal organization. Stop supporting fascist imperialists, boycott apple.
AnnaGiladi Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional General Artist
I'm using Samsung, but Apple does get great deals around here, sadly. Personally I know I don't want to have my lips stitched to other people's asses for hundreds of bucks, but Apple does some great marketing that others do fall for.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh ok.
:iconxtechnologiic:
xTechnologiic Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Digital Artist
^^ This.
:icontigerallied:
tigerallied Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
This is what I call a first world problem ...
Not so much of a problem really, as an interesting question I think. We both laughed about it, but should programmers really contaminate their (expensive) work that others pay for, with their political bias?
tigerallied Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
From my knowledge (don't quote me on this) the auto - correct is able to "learn" words that are being used a lot by the customers. And you don't get payed that much as a programmer.

But than again I am a apple "hater", so yea, you do deserve to get in trouble for only getting that phone. :P
So basically the word might have come up because my friend himself has used the kike word a few times?
tigerallied Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Nop, the word might come up because other people have used the word kike a few times, and it comes up as similar.
:iconlegendarysuperman:
LegendarySuperman Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Maybe he shouldn't be using the word "jobbing" :shrug:
Add a Comment: