apple cpu help

ok so im trying to choose which apple laptop to buy one is worth $2497 and is an i7 quad core 2.6 GHz. the other is worth $1687 and has an i7 dual core 2.9GHz. other then a 2 inch increase in screen size there isn't any noticable differences.

so i want to ask will there be any noticable differenc ein the speed of these two cpu's? and if so how much?

to help you guys out i'll provide links.

dual core: [link]

quad core: [link]
Comments40
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Do you have to use an apple laptop? Or even a laptop in general. Both options are WAY to overpriced.
for space limitations a laptop would be very ideal. as it would allow me to have more in my room then just a computer desk and bed.

however if its not wrong to say so, ive actually fallen in love with a computer i seen yesterday. its windows 7 and is beyond bloody powerful exceeds all expectationss and is for the same price as what i was going to spend.

problems:
- i wanted an apple computer because its virus free. or well for the most part anyway. and this machine will mean i'll have to find a good virus protection program that is for free.
(which will be a pain in the ass.)

ive tried these programs:
- avg: i still got viruses despite it being up to date. in fact i dont think it ever actually stopped them

- microsoft security: im yet to get a virus or even be attacked by one. however i fell like this is a program made to be broken into.

- eset: this is a paid program. was never attacked or at least not notified of it if i was. but i dont intend on paying for protection anymore and the free version is probably rubbish.
Good free virus programs are quite plenty full. Perhaps you're not familiar with Avira, Avast, Malwarebytes, Trend Micro Housecall, Spybot, or Comodo

The thing with viruses is that as long as your smart about what you do online and what/where you download you should be just fine. I haven't had any real nasty viruses in about 4 years
i thought spybot and malwarebytes were only for spyware and didn't cover viruses and trojans and stuff like that?

ive heard of avast. im yet to try it but considering it ha sa paid version ive never looked at how good its free version is.

typically when there is a paid version. the free version is nothing more then a pile of crap, designed to get you interested in the paid service.
Yes spybot and malwarebytes are just supplementary, but they're still free and very good.

there's no reason to pay virus though. And unless you're planning on hacking, torrenting, or never closing your browser windows, then free software will cover you just fine. There's a really bad misunderstanding about viruses and virus removal these days, a solid software like those I mentioned will protect you from just about anything. Yeah every now and then something slips by, but to get an infection that destroys everything is about as uncommon as hardware failure.
What's the worst that can happen if I leave my browser window open? What site could either give me something malicious or steal personal info just by leaving a browser window open?
While it's pretty uncommon you can be hacked that way. Most browsers and sites have safeguards but not all of them. It also drains your RAM but that's not a virus issue.
yeah alot of the viruses ive had the program describes as serous but all it has ever done is like:

- give me an error when starting up.
- prevent autoboot of usb. and present with error message.

and just dumb stuff liek that. but it is still annoying. i dont torrent but if i ever got a good internet plan i might start.

define "never close browser windows" when im browsing i keep them open as long as im interested in reading or looking at something on screen. and when im offline i shut the computer off.

either way id expect there to be a way of protecting my machine no matter what id be doing...but clearing there isnt...
If you get a virus, you're better off reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows. Taking your PC back to the day you first bought it. Keep in mind though that whatever important files you have saved will be lost so back up your important files as often as possible. However, don't back up if your PC is already infected because the virus could spread to your flash drive or whatever you use to back up your work.
View all replies
No AV has ever been 100% perfect. What websites were you visiting when you started getting viruses? I hear stories of Windows users who never use an AV for years and they're still fine.
View all replies
Like I said before it's about staying smart online. Clearing your registry helps quite often too though, as those are the files that often get infected.
Doesn't really help, they could be totally different generations. For example, my Macbook has an i7 but the current model i5's are faster (because mine is older). From that description alone I wouldn't buy either. Then again, I would only order Apple products from apple.com. :shrug:
I think you should get: [link]
You'd be paying more for the extra cores. Which can make a difference, depending on what you plan on doing with the computer.
programming games. adobe flash, potentially alot on screen for it to load up and any one time. and im considering video creation as well.
So the cores would definitely benefit you.

But first, I'd suggest looking for used or refurbished units, since they're sold at lower prices than new. Apple has a Refurbished line on their website, that would be a good place to start.
refurbished means older units restored to be like new arent they?
Yeah, you wouldn't know it was a used model.
Why do you want to pay that much for a laptop? Doesn't make any sense. You can get one with similar specs for half the price if you just forget about paying for the brand...
im not paying for brand. well i am but thats not why im paying the money. to be honest its for the piece of mind of not getting viruses all the time.

that and if i recall apple Operating Systems manage things like RAM better. i had adobe premier ona windows computer and it struggled to do anything with 4 gb of ram. yet i had a guy with an aapple laptop that was crap using the smae program and claimed to have no problems.
As long as you practice safe browsing habits, don't open email attachments from strangers, being careful where you enter personal information, and making sure all the software including Windows itself is updated with the latest patches you'll be fine. I recommend Firefox with AdBlock and NoScript when browsing the web. The best anti-virus solution is your brain!
all that is true. however ive gotten viruses a number of times just while browwsing websites. im obviously dont going to download any attachments from a stranger or anything stupid like that.

regardless though windows is good for compatibility and that alone. i use it because i grew up with it so im familiar with it but if movving to something else is going to give me a faster and safer somputer that i might not need to even put any work into managing all the bloody time. then great, tell me how much and i'll start saving.

in my eyes i dont buy a computer so i can sit there fixing it and managing it all the time. i just want to turn it on and use it. never having to worry about anything else. while your right its not ALL the time, its still often enought that it bugs me and the chance of it happening again is always there if windows.
Hey I remember you with that Shinji Ikari avatar. You were in my Praise Tech Savvy People thread. What the Hell man? I thought you were tech savvy LOL.
i am tech savy. but i haven't had cash in ages so i didn't bother keeping up with latest and greatest cpu's and other computer parts.

hell my phone is sill pretty old school. when i say old school think back to when mp3s were first available on phones. so in that regard in the dark ages, lol.

but if i were to come into more money then all that would quickly change youd have to give me like a week or so probably to catch u[p with everything. but it would all go back to normal. :P