Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

I'm so confused.

:icontenth-sign:
Tenth-Sign Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm good at coding, since I've been doing it since around second or third grade, but I'm lazy. Do I use CSS and HTML to make my page ~fancy~? And... what are my limitations with it? Also, if not those coding thing whatevers, what should I use?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondc4894:
DC4894 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Do a little reading. [link] [link]

HTML can be used without CSS, however, most of the tags used in older versions of HTML to position and style pages are now depreciated by the W3C. Use the current HTML5 and CSS3; they have some great new features.

HTML(5) tag reference: [link]

CSS(3) property reference: [link]
Tenth-Sign Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, I've done my reading. I'm fluent in coding, I just didn't know if dA had a special thing to use, like how it does its icons and emoticons with colons. I've seen it done before.
Fluent in what? There are dozens of popular scripting and programming languages. Insisting that you're fluent in "coding" gives the impression that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You made no mention of a specific use for "coding". People can't read your mind. Be more specific next time.

Everything about HTML and CSS's use on dA can be found via Help & FAQ: [link]
I learned HTML in second and third grade. Later on I learned CSS. I'm fluent in those coding styles, but Javascript, PHP, and the other coding languages I haven't bothered to look into recently, because I haven't offered to build websites for anyone in about two years. There. Better?
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Just do whatever that works in both firefox and chrome, forget about the rest because they don't matter.
The "rest" equates for about 20% of all users. Sure, none of them matter. :no:
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No, they usually don't. Firefox and chrome are free to download, there's no excuse for anyone to be using IE or any such crap. If people use non-standards-compliant browsers, they can only blame themselves.
Pretty much.
:iconmislaid-isis:
Mislaid-Isis Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Really when you get down to it they're both languages. HTML is a development language and CSS is a styling language.

If you think of it like a gift box you get a present in...HTML is the gift box itself and CSS is the wrapping paper on it that makes it look pretty.

Limitations are really based on current internet browsers and what CSS can and can't do. It really depends on what you want to do with your HTML. Do you just want it to look good (meaning not plain text on a white background)? Then you just need CSS. Do you want it to have advanced functionality? Like if you click a button something happens. Then you're looking to add a scripting language like php or jQuery for example.

Basically you can look at it this way:

HTML = the bones
CSS = the skin
Scripting languages (php for example) = the organs/muscles

Used all together and you get a dynamic website vs a static one (just HTML & CSS).
Tenth-Sign Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah. I know all that, I've been coding for a long time (everyone thinks that just because I asked I don't know). I was just wondering if they'd let you use CSS or if you had to struggle along with HTML. I know its 'essential', but I just think it's boring. CSS was a lot more fun when I learned it. And since I'm lazy, I don't want to have to work all the CSS out to come to find it's non-applicable. Also, thank you very much for not belittling me like some other people have.
Add a Comment: