January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

Feedback please on coderprofile.com

:iconvbassassin:
VBAssassin Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Hello,

I've built a site entirely from scratch over quite some time. It uses PHP and MySQL with an nginx reverse proxy to apache. It's quite responsive especially the instant messenger. It's also been through a stage of beta testing.

The idea behind the site is to produce a central profile specifically for programmers and then using social networking techniques allow programmers to easily promote themselves to other programmers. It's kind of a cross between twitter and facebook with coder specific features. An example is my profile here: coderprofile.com/coder/VBAssassin

However, i'm still not quite happy with it and that is where i want some feedback from you guys - the programmers i am aiming it for! Personally i feel having the profile feed as the profiles homepage isn't working because it doesn't really fee like "your" profile but instead one you are part sharing with everyone else. Instead, i'm thinking about showing the latest source codes, blog posts, links and book reviews by the profile author on their homepage. Then moving the profile feed to another page. However, doing this, do you think it will take away the uniqueness of the site and make it more like other sites? I do not want the focus of the site around the forum or just sharing source codes but instead for it to be around the profiles.

What do you guys think?

Kind regards,
Scott

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Not bad, but when there are sites out there like Github, BitBucket, or even Code Academy, it might be difficult to attract users to your service. Personally, I wouldn't have built a site like that, but since you already have that doesn't really help you. =p

The design is nice, modern, with only a few minor issues (which may just be browser issues - the search icon is bigger than the search box for example). The homepage is a bit campy and has some questionable grammar in the body copy, but it isn't overly distracting. The focal points outside of the user profiles seems to be limited to the forums, which is (I think) a problem. On dA, for example, we have groups, channels, chat, etc, etc, all these other things that we can do if we get bored of the forums. There's the browse page, but the information presented there is almost like a Twitter feed rather than a showcase for your users. The user profile home seems is a bit confusing too, it's like a friends feed type of thing? Not sure if that makes sense to me, but ok.

It's a good start, but when you consider your competition you need to come out of the gate with guns blazing. For example, huge companies use Github. What kind of things could you do for large enterprises like Adobe? Is enterprise a target? If not, what is your monetization plan? You can only get so far with no money. Overall it seems like a well built site that lacks a clear vision for the future. I think you should sit down with your team, or random people on Skype, and bang out something that resembles a business plan. Potential is good, but it doesn't pay the bills. I worked with a guy who has probably the most insane ideas I've ever heard of for his startup but because he never had a concrete plan he was having trouble keeping people interested in the project. His startup is going well now, but it was basically nothing but ideas on paper and a whiteboard scribbled down in one 8 hour meeting for about a year, and this is a really good idea from people who have launched startups before (so theoretically they know what they're doing).
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I'd say you should definitely go ahead and link individual profile pages. It doesn't have to look anything like other sites either :) This is my own site members page, probably very different from what you'll want and needs some work yet, but anyway, [link]
:iconvbassassin:
VBAssassin Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Might help if i actually include the link: [link]
Add a Comment: