Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Fridge magnet + flash drive = ?

:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'm sure someone's going to laugh at the stupidity of this question, but I'm going to ask anyway: Can several-day exposure to a refrigerator magnet corrupt the data on a flash drive? I'm putting together a small package to mail to Canada, including those two things, and they'll be smushed up next to each other for a few days at the very least.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcatluvr2:
catluvr2 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
3.5 or 5.25 inch? :eyes:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
...I don't get you.
:iconhotaru-suzume:
Hotaru-Suzume Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012   General Artist
Floppy disks.
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Oh right. Thanks.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Artist
I'll just point out that the iron in your blood isn't magnet and can't be pulled out with a magnet :p

That said, flash drives are fine around magnets. I've accidentally gotten flash drives stuck to multiple-tesla magnets before with no effects on the data.
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Awesome.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link]

"There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

So yeah, `nokari's comment.
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Thanks.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
No.

To have any change of damaging a flash drive you would need a rapidly changing magnetic field that could induce a significant current. A static magnetic field wouldn't do anything unless it were powerful enough to actually pull any iron components of the flash drive enough to damage it.
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I learn something new every day. Cool, thanks.
Add a Comment: