Closed to new replies
December 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Mac and anti virus software

:iconbwphotographry:
BWPhotographry Dec 25, 2012  Professional Photographer
So i have my macbook, my question is dose anyone run anti virus software on there mac, i have the latest operating system an i feel confident that Apple have there shit together but i dont no should i run it just in case i need opions.

I have had it for about four months and i have had not one problem with it but better to be safe then sorry

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconignisferroque:
IgnisFerroque Dec 25, 2012   Digital Artist
I've Sophos and ClamX AV installed, I don't really expect to get any viruses but i often share files with Win PCs, so wouldn't want to forward/send infected stuff. But like *pyrohmstr said, 24/7 checks aren't really worth the slowdown imo...
:icondngrdesign:
DNGRdesign Dec 25, 2012  Student General Artist
i use sophos as well, ive had 3 macs over 5 years now, and have still yet to get a virus on one.
:iconpakaku:
No, because viruses don't work on OS X. The worst you can get are a few Trojans and stuff. The only time you should worry about viruses is if you're on a network with a bunch of windows computers that virus could transfer to.
:iconjessaflux:
JessaFlux Dec 25, 2012   Photographer
You do know how to repair permissions on your Mac, don't you? Also if you go to Apple.com >support you can find help forums and get all the info you need.
:iconwilfredrhodes:
I've never used MAC.

I have always used Windows, and you know the importance of anti virus software on windows :)

But as far as MAC is concerned, I have seen anti virus softwares for MAC. Like on download dot com (MAC section).

[link]
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Antivirus is never worth it in my opinion. It's good to have a small set of tools you can use when shit gets weird, but for the most part running 24/7 AV is just a waste these days.
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What kind of tools? I am curious.
:iconshadow2k:
shadow2k Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I do, right here. I run Sophos Anti Virus on my Mac, because even though the general consensus is "Macs don't get viruses" - they can and do, and although there are far fewer Mac OSX viruses, they DO exist and it's better to be safe than sorry. The added bonus is that Sophos will also pick up Windows viruses so if you download something on your Mac to transfer to a PC (I do this frequently), you're safe in that respect too.
Add a Comment: