Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

Programming Language for Game Coding

:iconsweetdii0920:
SweetDii0920 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
We are having a thesis and we are going to create a game, features would be it should be played on a multi touch screen. Is java the best programming language we could use?
Any suggestions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontekel2001:
tekel2001 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
For the best, I would go with C via SDL.

SDL homepage: [link]

SDL Android port: [link]

Also there is a bunch of great games on those links :D
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Are you developing it for a tablet or a desktop computer?

If a tablet, code in java, it can be easily converted to an android app.

If it's for a desktop computer, go for something like GObject.
:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
C/C++ if you want multiplatform. You start limiting yourself, or creating extra work later, if you choose higher level languages like Java or Python.

Personally I would never use Java for anything. Every time they release a new JVM there's a 0 day exploit.
SweetDii0920 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
so c++ is better for game development? Then what library should we use to make our game multi touch?
:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
I'm not sure, but I feel as though you will come across a suitable one in your research.
:iconfolji:
Folji Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
What kind of game development are you thinking? If you're looking into mobile development, especially with the multi-touch frame of mind, Java would be a pretty solid choice that's not gonna go obsolete any time soon. C++ is another option that's more or less standing as an industry standard in game development, but it's not much used on mobile platforms from what I know!

Then there's C#, but who actually uses C# over C/C++ for game development at this point? Other than for Windows Phone and the like? :shrug:
This game I'm talking about should be played in a multitouch table. So... you recommend C++? Actually, we are going to create a puzzle and scrabble game that should go with new exciting features... about this features, we're still brainstorming... XD. Sorry if I'm giving you a hard time understanding this. XD. And thanks for the effort. :)
Folji Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Really, huh? That's interesting! What's the operative system that the table runs on? Since that's pretty much paramount to what language would be best to use. :giggle: But as you can see from all the other responses as well, C++ is more or less the most popular language for video game development these days.
Windows Vista too.. do you think it's okay? Now I'm having a second thought on using Java, since all of you guys are suggesting c++, I think I'd do my research if c++ would be better, because if it is... then I'd enjoy this thesis because c++ is the language i love the most. hihi :)
Folji Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you're making the game for a Windows system (x86 architecture), yeah, I'd definitely use C++ myself. You could just as easily use Python to make the whole thing as easy and straight-forward as possible, or Java if you want to use tat language, but with C++ you could just program the game and compile it as standalone software that doesn't depend on third-party software (Java) or libraries (Python) in order to run. :eager:
Add a Comment: