Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

Programming Language for Game Coding

:iconsweetdii0920:
SweetDii0920 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
We are having a thesis and we are going to create a game, features would be it should be played on a multi touch screen. Is java the best programming language we could use?
Any suggestions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontekel2001:
tekel2001 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
For the best, I would go with C via SDL.

SDL homepage: [link]

SDL Android port: [link]

Also there is a bunch of great games on those links :D
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Are you developing it for a tablet or a desktop computer?

If a tablet, code in java, it can be easily converted to an android app.

If it's for a desktop computer, go for something like GObject.
:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
C/C++ if you want multiplatform. You start limiting yourself, or creating extra work later, if you choose higher level languages like Java or Python.

Personally I would never use Java for anything. Every time they release a new JVM there's a 0 day exploit.
SweetDii0920 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
so c++ is better for game development? Then what library should we use to make our game multi touch?
:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I'm not sure, but I feel as though you will come across a suitable one in your research.
:iconfolji:
Folji Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
What kind of game development are you thinking? If you're looking into mobile development, especially with the multi-touch frame of mind, Java would be a pretty solid choice that's not gonna go obsolete any time soon. C++ is another option that's more or less standing as an industry standard in game development, but it's not much used on mobile platforms from what I know!

Then there's C#, but who actually uses C# over C/C++ for game development at this point? Other than for Windows Phone and the like? :shrug:
This game I'm talking about should be played in a multitouch table. So... you recommend C++? Actually, we are going to create a puzzle and scrabble game that should go with new exciting features... about this features, we're still brainstorming... XD. Sorry if I'm giving you a hard time understanding this. XD. And thanks for the effort. :)
Folji Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Really, huh? That's interesting! What's the operative system that the table runs on? Since that's pretty much paramount to what language would be best to use. :giggle: But as you can see from all the other responses as well, C++ is more or less the most popular language for video game development these days.
Windows Vista too.. do you think it's okay? Now I'm having a second thought on using Java, since all of you guys are suggesting c++, I think I'd do my research if c++ would be better, because if it is... then I'd enjoy this thesis because c++ is the language i love the most. hihi :)
Folji Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you're making the game for a Windows system (x86 architecture), yeah, I'd definitely use C++ myself. You could just as easily use Python to make the whole thing as easy and straight-forward as possible, or Java if you want to use tat language, but with C++ you could just program the game and compile it as standalone software that doesn't depend on third-party software (Java) or libraries (Python) in order to run. :eager:
:iconcodeandreload:
CodeAndReload Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Does the web-browser support multi-touch.

If so you can use standard html+javascript and compile with phonegap.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sounds like you're going for something like an app. I recommend Java for Android, since it's easy to work with.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
If you want a game that can be played on multitouch, I'd go with Java for Android.

Android devices can run Python code, but AFAIK it doesn't support multitouch. I COULD be wrong here, might be worth looking into.

You could also learn C# and go for Windows Phone.
>>> You could also learn C# and go for Windows Phone.

Yeah, if they wanted to write a game that no one will ever play, for a platform that no one uses.
I said COULD. As in, it's another option.
Although actually I don't know what hoops you have to jump through to test a game on an actual Windows phone.
You'll have to sell your soul and promise your firstborn to Ballmer. And probably sign a NDA or two. With blood.
At least developing them on PC is free.
And I actually hate to say I prefer C# to Java, but that's like a choice between.. two dogs you don't like very much? I'm not good with metaphors.
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Developing for android is free too. It's Apple where you have to pay for everything.

And when it comes to cross-platform interpreted languages, I prefer Python.
Oh yes, but I like to avoid learning Java :lol:
:iconlimegreenfay:
LimeGreenFay Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd suggest python but I guess C++ is better for high-level games ...
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Artist
What languages do you know? C++ is pretty straightforward. Python is good if you want something a little higher-level. I've also heard good things about XNA. I also know there are some Racket libraries that support multitouch if you want something really straightforward.
Didn't they discontinue XNA? That's what I've heard...
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Artist
It doesn't work with the new Metro thing or something. I don't know if it's dead or just really delayed in updating... my money is on it being dead
:iconmazerrackham:
MazerRackham Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
After they released DirectX 11.1 a lot of the old APIs that underly XNA got deprecated for win8. Even some of the DX11 interfaces have been superseded by ID3D11<name>1 which are better suited for touch screens and multiple monitors and such.

No idea why they didn't upgrade XNA along with it, but I never used it anyway so I don't care much. I just plugged DX straight into my engine and never bothered with the middle man.
:iconvargson:
Vargson Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
This is a very vague set of requirements. Choosing the right tool for the task is important.
On which operating system is the game supposed to run and on which OS are you coding? Have you written a game before, if so, in which language?
What kind of game do you want to make?
Ooopss, sorry. Well, We're using Windows Vista for coding, and the game is supposed to run in Windows Vista too. Uhhm, we created some game before using C++, we used allegro library. The game we want to make is a multiplayer game, educational and entertaining at the same time like scrabble and puzzle. This game should be played in a touch screen, multi touch... specifically in a multi touch table. And this multi touch table is also part of our thesis. So could the c++ be the best choice? thanks.. :)
:iconvargson:
Vargson Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
First of all, I wonder, why are you using vista? Programming for a touch screen would be a lot more easy on windows 8 since it is build for the usage with a touchscreen.
Since you are developing on and for windows, I suggest you take a look at the C# language (it feels similar to c++, but is a lot more convenient to use). Also, Microsoft has a native interface for handling touch screens, therefore this would be the first thing to read about.
I hope you are using Visual Studio, if not, start using it now! It will make your life better and your programming more efficient. (The express versions are free!).
Why on earth are you using such a horrible, defective OS like Vista?

There's plenty of better alternatives.
LOL. Well, i have no idea, do you have any suggestions? :)
Pretty much any debian-based linux distro. Heck, pretty much any linux distro, period - if the bar is set to windows vista it's not very hard to top...

But I still recommend debian-based distros mainly because of the package management being easy to use, and you get to access debian's repositories which have loads of good software for programming and development, and it's all free.

Then you can make your game cross-platform, because if you code on linux (ie. make a native linux application) it's way easier to port it to windows and mac, but it's much much harder to port a native windows app to other operating systems.
Add a Comment: