Computer issues,

Recently I have been having a strange black lines flickering across my screen,
This only happens when I am on my computer for a few hours, but it is starting to annoy me now :)
I took a screen cap when the flickering occurs, and no lines were found, so I believe the problem is with the screen it's self.
I have found my screen power supply to be quite warm,but my main theory is that I could have a fluctuating power supply because I use an old extension cord for my computer(which I will be replacing ;)  )

What do you think?
Am I right? or do you think there is something else I should check first?

Thank you for helping ;)

P.s my computer is 9 months old, so I also doubt it is worn down.
Comments13
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I am not too sure about this but I think the wire is not fitting perfectly into the sockets. Try and use a friend's cable and see if it is working. Also, the screen power supply should not be warm. I just checked mine to be sure. :D Try an alternate cable and see. Also, what is a screen cap?
Babe you got new GC's and and shit when you bought your computer so I severly doubt those are the problem. Give everything a dust out, you'd be surprised how awful that stuff is. I think before you buy anything else you should test the monitor on a separate system to see whether it is the monitor or the system ( which we both doubt it is )

REMEMBER. DUCT TAPE FIXES EVERYTHING!
When you say your computer is 9 months old, does that also include the monitor?
Thankyou for the reply :)

the monitor is slightly older than the computor ( I got the display monitor, as it was the cheapest)
That might be the problem. Display models could've had anything done to them XD
Your monitor is dying, your graphics card is dying, or you have a bad cable connection either at the back of the monitor, at the power source, or the cable is damaged somewhere in the middle. If it's an older iMac, they had a power supply issue that you can get fixed by taking it to an apple store/authorized repair shop, though it wouldn't likely be a power supply issue with the computer, because if it was then it would crash a lot or shut off randomly.

My top guesses would be it's the monitor dying or bad connection.
Thankyou for replying ;)

May I ask how I whould go about fixing a bad connection?
It just means the connections are loose at one end, the connectors at the end of the cable or on your computer are damaged/defective, or the cable is damaged somewhere. But it is not likely that this is a cable issue. First check the cables to make sure they're all well connected. If you have an extra VGA/DVI cable for your monitor, swap it in place of your current one. Unless your screen flashes on and off, the power cable is not the issue. If nothing changes, then connect the monitor to another computer. If the black lines still appear on the monitor, then you know the monitor is bad. If they don't appear, then it is most likely your video card/driver that is bad.
P.s the flickering pixels also seem to get worse the longer the computor is on, I don't know this is relevant :)
Hmm, are these hard lines?  Like a line of pixels is off?  Same pixels all the time?  If so, I'd think that it would be a problem with the processing hardware within the monitor, not the power supply.
Thankyou for the reply,

The pixels seem to be random when flickering, it also seems to get worce the longer I leave the computor on.
Hmm, hard to say. For trouble shooting problems, it's best to work down. Try to eliminate big problems, then work your way down. I would doubt it's your power cable/cord/box, but that could be the source. Try to replace it, but if you can't, then try other "global" outside things. Like the video cable or card. If those turn out fine, then you know the problem is with the monitor its self. And then you have to do a fair bit of techy work, since at that point, the repairs become a lot more expensive.

But from a pure guess here, I'd say the logic board of the monitor is failing, which means a lot of money. Might be easier to get a new one.