Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

CSS/HTML/Jscript? Dropdown customization

:iconkaozwashere:
KaozWasHere Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
SO I made a drop down list in HTML, in the classic windows style, but I dont know how do i tweak the design, i tried to get around the css but didnt work so well, made it messy.. im looking for somethng like this: [link]

can anyone help?
thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconworkoutprogress:
workoutprogress Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012   Photographer
Don't code directly in HTML unless you're just learning (literally this should take you less than a week). Get into something that will automate for you like a WordPress or CodeIgniter.
KaozWasHere Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
im making a website from the root, all code is original, i dont need automated, limited engines like wordpress, thanks though i figured out a styling for my css buttons that works
workoutprogress Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Photographer
So what you're saying is, you're going to gain control over things you don't need, to do things that won't help you be successful in a large-scale project, so that you can impress people who don't care, because you want to be a hobbyist instead of a professional.

That's fine. I just want you to understand that what you are doing is hurting yourself if you plan to do the same thing in any professional context. You will build sites that are not manageable or extensible, you will introduce bugs, or maintainers will introduce bugs, your projects will take far longer once you want them to do anything more than "look like a website" and you are probably using standards-uncompliant tabular or frame-driven layouts that won't display correctly on mobile devices. When you begin utilizing databases you will eventually introduce opportunities for SQL injection (the SQL site was hacked a few months ago through injection - that's how easy it is to do) and your work will not have the polish of a CMS.

You're right that you don't need it - if you have unlimited time and unlimited resources. But the reality is that hand-coding things after the learning stage is not practical.

I'm not trying to offend you. I'm trying to save you a lot of trouble - that is, after you finish learning the HTML and PHP fundamentals.

Good luck.
KaozWasHere Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
using wordpress is hardly professional, i didnt read the whole thing because i dont need to, using CMS is never a solution for professional corporate solutions, you have your opinion, thats fine, i just want you to understand that you shouldnt give advice of something you dont know what you are talking about. I just want to customize the design of a CSS button, and you suggest a whole remodel of a existing CMS, thatsw not saving a lot of trouble at all, setting up a newbie website with wordpress doesnt make you an expert on the matter, please, refrain from giving advice in future, unless you know your stuff
1) CMS solutions are deployed extensively in the professional world. Whitehouse.gov for instance uses Drupal.
2) I'm not the one trying to figure out how to code in a protocol and asking on an art site about how it's done. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, mmmmmkay?
3) My goal was to help you, but your psychotic devotion to purity is blinding you to being a more effective coder.

Also, I'm originally a C++ programmer. Try handling manual memory allocation and deallocation and function pointers and then talk to me about being a library whore. I don't need script kiddies who can't even put CSS and HTML together calling me ignorant instead of addressing the issue at hand in a logical fashion.

Thanks.
KaozWasHere Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
seriously, drop off the holier than thou attitude, keep doing your disgusting male belly portraits because thats obviously the only thing you're good at, Ive been in web design and CG business for since i was 14 years old, if you were any good at what you say you do, you'd understand that what you're saying is completly bullshit, seriously? changing the whole website engine because of a button? kill yourself, idiot.

this is a school work, i needed to code html and css myself, so using templates is out of question, a template is never a solution but since you're a dumbass and dont know shit of what you say, you keep insisting on that, oh and whitehouse.gov? seriously? i didnt know whitehouse.gov was an icon of web design, maybe it is to you, but for the rest of the world its not. i didnt really ask if you did C++ anyway, not sure why you're bringing that into topic but I bet you do as good in C++ as you do as photographer. a zero, a complete zero. I said, I already handled the problem without resorting to a CMS to change a button appareance so im not sure why you try to go on the topic further? glass houses? pfft, mine's a fort made of iron, kid. dont worry tho, no matter what you do in your life, you'll always be garbage.

You are welcome.
workoutprogress Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   Photographer
You need a hug.
KaozWasHere Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
nah, got plenty of love around me, you just need to stop being an attention-seeking troll
:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Um, Codeigniter doesn't automate HTML drop down lists. Neither does Wordpress. They both support third party plugins that will generate the markup that CSS/JS can use to create drop down menus, but there isn't anything built in to do that kind of thing.

Plus, telling someone not to write HTML (and to use prebuilt "generator" solutions instead) is terrible advice. With advice like that you'll spawn a generation of web developers that don't understand HTML. Granted there isn't all that much to it, but if you don't know the basics you won't get very far.
Which is why I added a caveat to the statement.

Reading is important if you plan to program for a living. I suggest you learn how to do it.
Add a Comment: