Computer obnoxiously slow - barely 2 years old, if that. Need help/suggestions.

First and foremost, I don't wanna hear "it's cuz it's a mac" or "get a pc", or anything along those lines. I have a mac. I will always have a mac. I prefer my mac. I want a solution, not to be told to get a PC, please.

NOW that that's done and said;

I have scanned
I have defragged
I have updated
200GB out of 800GB used

I do not understand what the issue could be.
It ran completely fine about 8 months ago and before that, then suddenly it gradually began to slow down, and now it can't even keep up with my typing or with any games I play.
Comments62
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
how much folders do you have in your C drive (or mac equivalent) when you first open it
the less you can get away with the better but that's something that should be done when you first get the computer
you probably have to many programs trying to start when the computer firsts boots up

in windows theirs a startup folder in the start menu and in the registry theirs a similar folder, anything in thoughts folders will try to start up all at once and you dont need half of them to start at all
mac should have something similar but i dont really know anything about macs

be carefull if you go to play around in the registry, if you do something wrong you will kill the OS and have to format and reinstall everything from scratch
I'm not a mac person but I can try to help out xD :

- I see that your Skype is outdated, you can try uninstalling the old one and install the latest one o;

- Drivers is another thing, if you're running on old old old drivers, it might help to install the latest drivers xDD

- You got it 2 years ago, knowing Mac, you should be fine for at LEAST 2 more years. For drawing, WoW, and Skype, you should be more than fine, and with 800GB of space who can complain? I'm not sure about your CPU speed though. I'm sure it's fine though. The worst case would be that you would need to reapply new thermal paste to the CPU.

- I'm also sure that you are responsible so you shouldn't have many viruses, but it won't hurt to get a scan right? lolz

- If push comes to shove, you can always take the emergency exit. Try to find something so you can format your computer and reinstall Mac. I'm sure that after the re-installation your Mac would run smooth o;
Yeah I'm trying to update everything
Noo there shouldn't be any viruses, I scan and don't go to any weird sites or download any weird things
D; it's making me really confused lol
Again, that emergency exit saves lives ;D

But try that escape method after getting some way to transfer your files safely~
the mac/pc argument is irrelevant and stupid. Each has its strong suits. That's the end of it. Also, I suggest an external hard drive and/or upping ram. Graphic stuff on the computer makes it slower because it takes time to load, and every layer in Photoshop could potentially be causing it to slow a bit each time too. I do doubt this though. Keeping photoshop up to date TENDS to help with slowness too but on occasion they give out shitty upgrades. There have been a few times for me with PS whereI had to reverse upgrades because it just ran horribly after it all finished installing.

Also, you should go into your list of programs that are running when you turn on the mac, and see which ones take up the most computer space while running. Which ones cause the highest CPU usage.

If it keeps getting slow I would suggest contacting apple support.
I'm not sure how macs work, as I've always been a pc user (don't worry, I get the same thing about how everyone should own a mac so I won't make a comment like that to you) but I can at least offer some suggestions based on pc knowledge... I only used a mac for the year I was in college, and my mom is constantly begging me to fix this problem or that... XD; beyond getting the damned thing to connect to any form of internet, I can usually figure out her problem... granted she's one of those users who easily messes little things up XD; GAh! sorry for the rambling ^^;

Anyway, Definitely check your drivers like others have suggested. I had several issues with my laptop when it mysteriously disconnected itself from all of it's internet and wireless drivers. I contacted HP about the issue, and all I got from them was my motherboard needed replaced, which would've cost hundreds I really didn't have (or would have used to buy a new computer, instead, since it cost more to get a motherboard than I paid for my laptop in the first place XD; ) I also know through playing games on my husband's desktop that not having video card drivers up to date can cause problems if you get a new game....

I actually hope you can get the OnyX program LaBrisa suggested. It sounds alot like the Glary Utilities program I recently got over my third party freeware program fear to download. Maintenance programs can go a long way for helping a computer. I recently got my laptop running like a dream, or at least better than it was a few months ago... I did a huge clean up of old files, because I had 3/4 of my memory used, but the GU program helped clean it up enough I could run the disc burner which would cause my laptop to crash shortly after it started up ^^; it was pretty bad.

If all else fails to help, it might be something that just became corrupt with Photoshop, and you might need to uninstall and reinstall it if you can. sometimes this can help.

The letting the computer cool down suggestion might be a good idea to try as well.

XD; I'm sorry if it sounds like I just repeated what others suggested ^^; these are things I'd try with a pc if I was having problems, and they seem pretty reasonable. The only other suggestion I could make is looking at ANY forum you can by googling your problem, and reading as many posts as you can. It may take ten forums to find it, but someone always seems to have a similar problem with a off the wall fix that actually works. I do all my own troubleshooting, since we have very few to no computer repair places that even know what a computer is (let alone how to turn one on) and I've managed to escape blue screens for five years of fairly heavy use. Hopefully you can solve this problem, as it sucks having a computer that just doesn't work right ^^;
This happened to my computer, its not a mac but same problem. I did a lot of writing at the time so it was a real pain. Then it slowed down so much that I just left it off for like a week, let it run for like a full day and it been good ever since. Sometimes they just need a chance to completely cool off.
Hmm.. I'll have to try this once my classes get out
I am not certain , but I don't beieve you mentioned if it's a laptop or a desktop , if it is a laptop , your battery could very well be the issue , as batteries start to die , they will effect things such as typing , games , etc.... to the point where typing is stalled by entire words , loading in chunks , etc... I have seen this with several laptops in the past...
Sorry, I coulda sworn I said - it's an iMac/desktop.
go download and install ccleaner
It sounded like it is relating to CPU and RAM, since the issue is about the speed and performance, not the memory. I can't remember how did I improve my speed on my laptop. Maybe you can try poke around a little bit in your laptop to see that it might improve... Sometimes you do have junk files that can slow the performance down. Do you have any "cleaner" app such as Diet Disk app? If yes, then try to scan and find the worthless files. Mac do make backup of files and caches, but it doesn't always remove the temporary files.

I hope my suggestions might help a little bit!
I don't have a 'cleaner' app, I'll have to look into getting one, thankyou c:
Who knows that it might help? It's no problem! I hope the issue will be solved soon as possible! C:
I don't know if anyone has said this stuff but ~ If your computer is running slow it probably has to do with your processor or memory. See if you can upgrade your hardware, like your core or your ram. I recently installed 4g extra in my laptop and it's running much smoother now. It's about the same age. I can now run WoW and Photoshop at the same time will significantly less lag. Not going to be doing Raids or anything with drawing but it certainly helps.

Also, if you are making photoshop files that are larger in scale, it does cause some lag. I'd start saving versions as you go and condensing the number of layers you have in one file at a time. This will help with slow program run time as well as a temporary fix.

4g two years ago was pretty good, now...not so much I found. Best of luck!
But it's an 8G, it should still be fine D:
8GB is more than enough unless your running lots of editing programs of other heavy programs like that all at once
Update all the things.
xD I am tryinggg
I don't own a mac, but I assume maybe changing your start up applications, and make sure your drivers are up to date and functioning properly. A bad driver can have bad effects on your computer. Hopefully you'll get it fixed soon.

I would like to say it makes perfect sense to have a mac, mac is for artists and PC is for programmers, that's just the way it is :P
Everyone keeps suggesting drivers so I suppose i'll have to check them out D;