Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Web hosting questions...

:iconkai-yatsu:
Kai-Yatsu Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I've seen some sites claim unlimited bandwidth, but I've had coders and developers recommend other sites that cost higher but looks like they provide the same services... So My question is, if I'm gona host a site that, well lets make this a scenario....Say I had a site with anywhere from 500 to 300,000 members, each having a profile, a website like mgl/game-battles, with teams, tournaments and such...ladders, team pages and the lot, Could I go with lets say fatcow? or would i need to go to some big name hosting site and pay 200 to 400 USD a month for hosting or would some other site that says unlimited bandwidth for 100 to 300 USD a year be okay?

So what is the difference?
Are there any recommended hosting companies?

( that are reliable and won't crash with all them members online at the same time... )

So please don't flame this, I seriously have no clue about this, I've looked on google, but it just would show me sites to get hosting not provided the answers i was looking for, and hosting reps would just try to sell me their host not tell me the facts....

Thanks and kudos to anyone that can clear this up thanks

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Kai-Yatsu Dec 3, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
WOW thanks now that's way more helpful :) Thanks very much :)

Looking between host gator and MDD hosting right now...
:iconmislaid-isis:
One thing to keep in mind, stay away from any host claiming to have "unlimited" anything, especially bandwidth and storage. There's no such thing and it's just a lure to get you to buy from them.

Back when I was looking for a new host, I found myself at Here It was a really awesome forum about different hosting companies, small and large and you can chat with other folks who can give you some good advice and their experiences with hosts.

It's also where I found MDDHosting and I personally love them. Been with them for over a year and it's been great. They are a little more expensive then your "unlimited" hosts but, I think the price is worth it. They have excellent customer service, great up time, and they're honest about the amount of bandwidth, file storage, emails, etc that you get with their packages. There's no shifty business.

For what you're looking to do in your example, you want a host package that will give you a good chunk of bandwidth, especially for the amount of members you're hoping to one day have. The coming and going on a site like that will eat up a good chunk of resources. Also you want to have access and the ability to create databases on the host server (for let's say a CMS, user information storage, etc). Most hosts allow you to do that, but some limit how many you can make so watch out for that.
:iconaapis:
Aapis Nov 30, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
300,000 members and you're deep in dedicated hosting territory. Once it becomes a problem, you will already know a lot more about this kind of thing so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Start off with shared hosting (the cheap packages on any site will do) and go from there. That said if it were me I would consider the scalability issues now rather than wait for them to bite me in the ass. :shrug:
:icondc4894:
DC4894 Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As far as your particular situation, I'd recommend Private hosting. I've used HostUpon in the past for shared hosting and were very happy with them.
:icondc4894:
DC4894 Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It seems like you don't understand the different types of hosting.

Most popular are Shared Hosting, Private Hosting, and Dedicated Server Hosting.

Shared hosting is best for smaller sites. Basically, multiple sites are hosted out of one server and share the resources of that server. You aren't guaranteed a certain amount of bandwidth, but you pay less. Although hosting companies typically advertise "unlimited bandwidth and storage", they'll usually cut you off when they feel that your resource use becomes "excessive".

Private hosting is much like shared hosting, but with guaranteed minimum bandwidth and storage capacity. It's best for sites in the medium size-range. A server is taken and virtually divided to create multiple virtual servers. Private hosting is more expensive than shared hosting, but cheaper than dedicated server hosting.

Dedicated server hosting is the cat's meow of web hosting. You are paying to rent an entire server and are in charge of the software on it. Best for sites in the medium to medium-large range. Be prepared to shell out some cash for this type of hosting; it ain't cheap.
Kai-Yatsu Nov 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Ok that explains it a little better....
Add a Comment: