Putting holiday lights on house?

Click HERE for image reference.
I want to put lights to accent the trim of my house but the only way I can get up there is by going on the roof. Any tips on not falling off or not falling through the roof of the house? =)

Only way I can get them on is by climbing on the roof with my 6' ladder.

THANKS!
Comments6
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Be careful, wear shoes with grippy soles.

You shouldn't have to worry about falling through your roof unless you have some serious problems with your house.
Step ladder, A-frame letter, cherry picker.
Best not to go on the roof and hang over working below, that's never a good thing.

Other than that, maybe use ropes to anchor yourself to the roof; i.e. a counter weight that's heavier than you (at least two times heavier) on the opposite side of the roof either on the ground or the roof
Is your house a single story, or is it two? How steep of an angle is the roof?

I never recommend working below your self while on a roof, it's just plain dangerous. The safest was would be to stay on the ladder.

That being said, in the likely event that you ignore my suggestion, go to your local fabric store and get two nice big (2 feet x 2 feet or so) pieces of 2 inch thick upholstery foam. Keep one of the foam pads between you and the roof at all times; it will keep you from losing your footing and sliding off the roof.
Good balance and make sure there is no water or ice. Non-slip work boots are good too

It's also a good idea to secure the ladder in the ground and on the roof...although a 6 foot ladder isn't really all that unstable...

Finally, it's best if you have someone on the ground watching and helping just in case you should fall.