Closed to new replies
November 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

Video game designing and development

:iconxmiaww-im-a-muffinx:
Xmiaww-im-a-muffinX Nov 11, 2012  Student Photographer
I really hope this is in the right forum cause I don't want nasty comments telling me off :(

I'm also going to post in the gaming forum too but it seemed better suited here :)

Basically my other half has recently decided he wants to look into trying to get into games designing and development, including games programming and etc but with other commitments at the moment he wouldn't be able to do a university course and so i've taken to the internet scouring for books and on-line courses etc for him as a big christmas surprise.

one course I found that sounded really good for all aspects that he wanted to look at was on Train2game but after researching in to it many people found it a rip off and completely disgusted in the course so that's become a no-no and I was just wondering if there was anyone that's taken similar paths or are interested in games designing or development/programming that can give me advice on any on-line courses/ books/ dvds/blogs/articles etc etc etc that I could buy/ look in to or any advice that I can compile for my other half?
i've looked in to it quite a lot but its always better for some advice :)

thankyou ^__^

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlatin-geek:
Latin-Geek Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Extra Credits and Egoraptor's Sequelitis are videos about game theory. Real good sources.

For the actual development bit, look into C++ and XNA programming. I'd advise you to stay away from "make your own game" type programs, since they're often gimped and it shows when you try to popularize or monetize your game.
:iconsinister6664life:
OH YEAH!!! Mr "It takes a long Goddamed time."
HECK YEAH NICE TO RUN INTO YOU HERE!!!
Xmiaww-im-a-muffinX Nov 22, 2012  Student Photographer
i have to admit in my research so far I haven't come across XNA so will have to do more research in to that as I have no idea what it is :P
thankyou for the tips ^-^
:iconfawfulmk-ii:
fawfulmk-II Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There is this great webseries called Extra Credits that explains some fundamentals of game design(and Gaming in general), which could help him out in the projects he works on.
also there is a forum for the series full of peeps who could ya out as well.

you can find it here:[link]
Xmiaww-im-a-muffinX Nov 13, 2012  Student Photographer
thankyou so much :D
:iconchemno9:
ChemNo9 Nov 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I'll offer him some advice and thoughts on how to get into game design and production if he wants to reach out to me.

He can check out my blog and indie game at Mercurial Forge. He can also find my contact info there too.
I'll definitely pass the link on to him :D thankyou ^-^
:iconhai-etlik:
If he wants to develop his own games, he needs to learn to develop software in general. That's enough of a task to worry about for quite a while so I'd suggest just focusing on that. Avoid any "game specific" programming lessons, books, tutorials, whatever. Just learn to write good, solid, software. He should remember that there is a lot more to programming than just knowing a language, and a lot more to software development than just programming.

Once that's out of the way, he'll be in a position where he can learn the specifics of game programming, which are important and do need to be covered, but shouldn't really be approached without a platform of programming and development ability to build on. Learning to use OpenGL isn't going to be much use if you don't know how to design the overall architecture of the game, or how to use basic development tools like a debugger.
from the research i've done it certainly does seem like a lot of work and dedication so I completely understand he needs to start with basics. thank you for the advice :D
:iconshininginthedarkness:
It kind of depends on the scope of what he wants to do. I taught myself how to make any number of relatively simple 2D games with a 10 dollar book and the internet. Obviously fancier and/or more specialized stuff is more expensive.

I would put it out there that I think, with the number of internet resources out there, most people can learn the basics of a programming language with a book or two and a whole bunch of hard work.
Add a Comment: