Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Questions about Text Files, Downloads, and Links

:iconashborne-demon:
Ashborne-Demon Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
Hello fellow deviants. I'm having some issues that I could really use some of you brain-strength people out there for!

I'm trying to use the standard <ahref code to link to full text files for quick download.
Sadly, I don't know enough about computers or the world wide web to know where I can store the text files so that I can place their download address into quotation marks.

Does anyone know where or how I can get my text files to work as a Download Link?

( [link] this is where I got the idea for how to do it but I can't figure out HOW to do it. )

Can I link to dropbox files or something? Is there another website I can use? Do I even need a website?
Please let me know. Thank you so much for all the help guys!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontajmox:
TaJMoX Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
If you zipped it, then the person clicking the link would get the pop-up message asking if he would like to download the file.
Otherwise, if you link a .txt it will just open in the browser window (visitor would have to right click and Save As the link)
Ashborne-Demon Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional General Artist
I see. Thank you so very much! That is very helpful indeed! :D
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Why is that a problem?
<a hr ef="ht tp://www.address where the file is located/subfolder if any/Your file.txt">Name of your file (display) (without added spaces)
-if the location is correct (you have to upload the file to your site) it will work :-)
Ashborne-Demon Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
Thank you so very much! :D
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Can I link to dropbox files or something?

Yes.

Is there another website I can use?

Yes, many. Pretty much anywhere you can upload a file that can be publicly accessed. That includes right here on dA.
Ashborne-Demon Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
I see. Thank you :D
Add a Comment: