Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 1, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Cosplaying in May 2013 for the first time, need advice.

:icondeadlyobsession:
DeadlyObsession Featured By Owner Nov 1, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I went to my first ever Con (MCM Expo London) last Saterday and really enjoyed it! However, I cosplayed as... me (I.E, not at all). I'm planning to cosplay for the first time in May and I was wondering if there are any tips out there that could help a newbie like myself.

Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcatluvr2:
catluvr2 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Totally agree with ^J-Z-Belexes. Go with a character you can relate to, act like them, and try to stay in character.
:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Choose a character that you genuinely care about, and can relate to to a certain degree. It makes being in character so much easier. And don't just try to look like them, try to ACT like them. Study them and watch how they move, and try to mimic it. Carry yourself like that person would. When I cosplay Cyclops of the X-Men, I carry myself seriously and a bit stiff. When I cosplay Doctor Who, though, I'm looser, more energetic and a bit more spastic.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Student General Artist
What's the difference between that and dressing up for Halloween?
DeadlyObsession Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've never dressed up for halloween neither. ^^;
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Student General Artist
DEATHSTARE!
:sprint:
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Nov 1, 2012
For myself, whenever I try to make a costume, I try to find parts that are easily altered (like, for a costume of Ashe from League of Legends, I worked with a base of a little black cocktail dress :D). Start off with something that doesn't demand too much detail (like armor... if you really have the money and time to invest into it, fine, but for a first time, try to avoid it as it can be quite a daunting task).

Sketch and plan early, to see what you need to buy and what you can make from supplies you already have on hand. And, above all else, don't be afraid to mess up and have fun with it :#1:
Okay, I'll try that, thankyou! =)
Add a Comment: