Corrupted psd file

I'm working in Photoshop CS2 on Windows 7 x64.
I was working on a piece (for a contest that ends tomorrow so it's pretty urgent). I saved the file and closed it but then my computer crashed (with PS still running), forcing me to hard reset him (by hitting the reset button on the station). When OS booted I opened Photoshop (no issues there) and tried to open the saved psd, but all I get is:

Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop

I tried opening it in Imageready but it loaded only a blank page (but the thumbnail is still there, showing actual piece), then ran it through photoshoprecovery (some small app I found on the net) - it seemed to work, but all the layers were empty when I opened the piece. I tried opening the psd in Fireworks CS5 (I've downloaded the demo, since I've read somewhere that it helped in similar case), but all I got was:

Could not open the file. An internal error occured.

The temp file is not there (because it was saved and closed). Is there any way to recover the file? (Please, please, let there be any...)

TL;DR A way to fix a corrupted psd file?
Comments10
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Try opening with IrfanView. There are others you could try, but they aren't free. If that and other recovery programs don't work, then your file is pretty much useless.
InfranView opened just a black image. That's very not good, isn't it?
I tried like five or six recovery programs, all of them did not work.

Shit, I'd better stop asking question on the forum and move on to creating the image from the scratch... for another 12 hours... damn you, Adobeee!

*dies in pain*
I'd blame it on your computer ;)

Sorry, wish I could help. IrfanView usually works on corrupted files, but there has to be enough info for it to work. In the future, I'd suggest saving out a duplicate of your files so that you always have a backup to at least some point in your project. If you want to use one, there are some programs that can auto-save for you.
Yeah, I know, I definitely need to upgrade, that's not even a decent machine (it was, though, like 3 year ago). But I got no monies :(
I usually keep a backup files, because I work on a 64bit OS in an ancient PS CS2 32bit, which is not even supported anymore and that config is very prone to turning into a complete shitstorm. But unfortunately I'm also a bit short on a disc space, and that file was >2GB in size, and I was like: what wrong could happen... *facepalm*
Invest in an external hard drive or start burning old stuff to DVDs. I've gotta start doing that myself cause I've got a 1.5TB and a 640GB externals that are almost completely full. :slow:
I personally find DVDs to be a real pain.

200 DVDs are about $40, and that gets you about 1Tb of storage.
When you consider that a 1Tb HDD is only about $60, I'd gladly pay $20 extra to save the trouble of burning my data in 200 parts.

If anything, a RAID setup would be more efficient, whereas the few files that need to be absolutely safe you can burn to a DVD or two.
I have a 2TB internal drive, dedicated to storage and the second 250GB I keep the OS and programs on. But that's still not enough, especially since I'm a collector type - I don't delete old files, never, ever. I still have some files I've created using my mother's computer when I was 13. And I'm 27.

My DVD recorder died six months ago:) But it was of natural causes, it was 6 years old at the time and used extensively. I would buy a new one or a normal, internal drive, still have some free space in my case to shove it in there... but, as I may have mentioned previously, I have some money issues atm (that's what you get when you're working your ass off, 50 hours a week, in a wonderful, developing country of Poland. If you haven't heard of an engineer with a financial fluidity problems <which is, I guess, possible in the US> you have now :D).

Anyway, I have my files uploaded on various internet storage services, but I somehow cannot force myself to believe in their reliability. The same goes for DVDs and other portable yet easy to destroy mediums - I tend to lose my memory sticks and CDs all the time (and car keys. and wallets. and probably anything else that one can lost).
Well if you need a DVD burner, they're really cheap. I got one for my last computer about 2 years ago for only $40 retail. You could easily get one for $20-30 on eBay.

I tend to lose my memory sticks and CDs all the time

Get an organizer case or set aside part of a book shelf and just label things really well.
View all replies